Saxophone Forum

by 10rsax
(19 posts)
19 years ago

mystery SELMER Alto #534xx marked "NEW YORK"

This ser# lets me think this horn is a 1953 SBA, however the tone hole are on both sides of the bell, and the guards are wire, not the Mark VI type. The G# key is a round mother of pearl. A round pearl trill key is between the F & E keys. Depressing the E key closes a 1 in pad on the left side below the thumb hook. The bell support is wire not a ring. Mike

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxismyaxe
    (575 posts)

19 years ago

Re: mystery SELMER Alto #534xx marked "NEW YORK"

Your Selmer is actually a Conn New Wonder Stencil horn. When Selmer(U.S.A.) entered the U.S. Saxophone market (which was comparatively late), they weren't making their own Saxes. Instead they contracted with Conn to make a stencil which Selmer named the "New York" model. This horn would date the horn between 1920 and 1930 or so. Since this isn't a Selmer serial number, but a Conn stencil one, and Conn records for their stencil horn numbers are no longer in existence, the serial number won't provide you with the exact date of manufacture. Most consider these to be the BEST Conn stencils ever made, and the only difference between them and the New Wonder Conns they are based on, is their lack of rolled tone holes.

Reply To Post

1. by 10rsax
      (19 posts)

19 years ago

This horn needs pads and a setup, but I tweeked it enough to play it and having Mark VI's, I was impressed at the big sound. I wonder though, body and tone wise, how this model would be compared to Chu B models, and how scarce would this horn have been? Internet searches have all been dead ends, and you have been great to respond and shed a little light on this fine piece. Who do you know who that could look at closeup pics and determine a value or the desirability for one of these? Thanks, Mike

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
        (575 posts)

19 years ago

Hi Mike This is a nice, New Wonder model horn(Ihaven't seen your horn, but it is more than likely a Series I model). It is perhaps more desirable to Selmer (and Conn for that matter) collectors to fill in a collection's history line of horns, than to the contemporary player, except for those looking for a superior example of the "New Wonder" type horn to play(And there are some of us out here!). With BA, SBA, and MkVI models as the most desirable by the majority, with maybe the Jimmy Dorsey model as a distant second; models like the New York, Manhattan, 22, reg "Cigar Cutter" models etc. don't seem to command as high a price, with rare exceptions. Although I have a number of Selmers in my collection, I am not an authority on them, and feel a number of other posters on this thread might be of better service in evaluating your horn's worth. I will say that most "Experts" who might be in a position to purchase your horn (i.e. Vendors) also tend to charge a fee to appraise a horn, so hopefully someone will step up and help you out on this forum. Cheers and best of luck. Mike.

Reply To Post

1. by 10rsax
          (19 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks for the heads up on this horn. After your last post, I started pulling up New Wonder pics, and was amazed at this Conn/Selmer! I have talked to a tech about reviving this beauty, and am ready to turn him loose. I lost my former Selmer tech (flute builder, David Lusk) as he moved two states away. I will still welcome any info on the "NEW YORK" as a lot of the links I've found are dead ends, or bad links. Mike

Reply To Post