Saxophone Forum

by turlin
(2 posts)
19 years ago

Buescher True Tone

Hi, I am looking for information on a Sax I recently picked up. It is a Buescher True-Tone, serial number 136481. I know nothing about the sax so I am looking for age, Is it an Alto, tenor, etc.. and what they generally are worth. The silvering is about 90% and I can find no noticable dings or dents.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Buescher True Tone

I can tell you that it was made in 1923, but it could be a tenor, alto, or possibly a C Melody. Send me some pics and I will take a look. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by turlin
      (2 posts)

19 years ago

I e-mailed you a few pics. So where would be the best places to list a horn for sale?

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Hi Turlin, I did get your email. The sax looks like it might be a C Melody to me, although it's kinda hard to tell in the pictures. The Buescher C Melody and tenor look a lot alike only the bell is more narrow on a C Melody and comes up a little higher above the G# key. The bell on a tenor is wider and doesn't come up as hi. Is there any letter engraving on the back near the serial number? perhaps a T for tenor, B for Bb or a C? Many of the pads in the photo look original, and my guess is that the horn will need a repad and some adjusting, and corks; basically an overhaul. It does appear to be in exceptionally good shape however. Have you tried to play it? I'd be surprised if those pads would seal very well given they're over 80 years old, but I bought a 1922 Conn last fall which also had several of the original pads and it did play! I did replace them with the newer style resonator pads though. The problem with selling anything like this is finding the right buyer who will pay you what it's worth. I would say that even in the condition indicated in the pictures, it's worth $400-$500 if it's a C Melody, or $500-$700 if it's a tenor. We need to determine if it is in fact a tenor or C Melody. A C Melody measures 24" (61 cm) from the bow at the bottom of the bell to the top of the tenon. A tenor measures about 28 1/2". (72.39 cm). I would suggest listing the sax on ebay. Even though ebay has it's faults, you'll get a lot more exposure through ebay than any other forum I know of. I would pretty it up, take lots of detailed photos, and write out a very detailed description as to what this horn is. For example, I would say something like "The Buescher True Tone was manufactured in Elkhart, Indiana from 1917-1930. Known for having acceptional intonation, the True Tone was noted as being one of the best saxophones available at that time." I wouldn't suggest a reserve auction, because ebay charges too much, but I would start the bid at $199.99 if it's a C Melody, or maybe $299.99 if it's a tenor. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Dave Dix
          (421 posts)

19 years ago

Look at the low B padcup.If it is just above the bell join its a tenor,if its about 2-3 inches above its a C melody Dave

Reply To Post