Saxophone Forum

by Amanjiria
(8 posts)
19 years ago

An Indiana by Martin Sax?

Well I've been playing this horn for about 10 years now and I finally dawned on me to do some research on it to see the history. I don't have any pics yet or the serial, (I'm at work) but I can get them later on tonight. Anyone have any sites or info on the horn?Possible age? (I understand it will be easier whe nI get the Serial) Its in the original case and the neckpiece has the same serial on it. I'll try and get some more info in my soon. Thanks for your insight. Robert

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Amanjiria
    (8 posts)

19 years ago

Re: An Indiana by Martin Sax?

Sorry I forgot to mention that it is the Alto Model.

Reply To Post

1. by Dave Dix
      (421 posts)

19 years ago

Martin made the indiana for a long time.It was made at the martin band instrument company which was bought by martin in the 20's so your alto can be from late 20's up to around 1970's so the serial number would help to exact date it. They were deemed an intermediate horn but that means little nowadays as the tone and build quality surpasses most modern manufacturers. Dave

Reply To Post

1. by Amanjiria
        (8 posts)

19 years ago

In your Opinion would it be worth it to have the horn overhualed? It has trouble staying tune from one octave to the next. I play in my church band and that drives me insane. The pads are close to 10 years old also. It still plays fairly well and I love the rich tone of it. ( The lacquer is all gone) Thanks again, and as soon as I get out of work i'll get the serial for everyone. Robert

Reply To Post

1. by Amanjiria
          (8 posts)

19 years ago

Also it has an adjustible right hand thumb hook.

Reply To Post

2. by Amanjiria
          (8 posts)

19 years ago

Boy i'm lame, I keep reading other posts and realizing certain things about my horn. The bell has an engraving of an indian. I'll have to look at it when I get home. Later

Reply To Post

3. by Amanjiria
          (8 posts)

19 years ago

well got home and the serial is: 68386 the neck piece is also the numbered the same

Reply To Post

4. by Dave Dix
          (421 posts)

19 years ago

Its either 1926 or (i suspect) 1958 depending on whether its from the original factory or the martin band company factory.With the adjustable thumb rest its most probably based on The martin model and be 1958 Dave

Reply To Post

5. by Amanjiria
          (8 posts)

19 years ago

Where can I look to help you, On the bell it says Elk Hart-IND. Are there any other marking on the horn that can help you date it? Thanks again for your help and insight, its really cool to start to learn some things about this horn. \ Robert

Reply To Post

6. by Dave Dix
          (421 posts)

19 years ago

Try looking here www.themartinstory.net this is a very good site with pictures of most martin saxophones.You may spot your one here or the pro-model it was stencilled from to give you the exact year. It also has a serial number chart. Dave

Reply To Post

7. by Amanjiria
          (8 posts)

19 years ago

Thank you Dave. I really appreciate your help. Thanks again. Robert

Reply To Post