Saxophone Forum

by Phreaxer
(6 posts)
19 years ago

Would it be a good buy if I were to pick up a Vintage Buescher to resell?

I have the opportunity to pick up a vintage Buescher vin 268*** Would it be worth an investing $800 in the horn and repadding it?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Dave Dix
    (421 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Would it be a good buy if I were to pick up a Vintage Buescher to resell?

268k is around 1935.good tenor in original condition,snap in pads and norton springs and not a relaquer would be worth around $1500 or maybe more to the right person, an alto around $1100-1200 so its a gamble unless you know the real condition of the buescher aristocrat and whether you want the risk. I would possibly take the risk as i repair and re-pad my own horns but to pay a tech(300-500 dollars) you may lose out Dave

Reply To Post

1. by Phreaxer
      (6 posts)

19 years ago

Sorry, I should have included a couple important aspects. One, It is an Alto. Two, It is gold, I read that a gold Buescher of that era is worth approx. 20% more. Is that information correct?

Reply To Post

1. by Dave Dix
        (421 posts)

19 years ago

Please re-check its goldplated as buescher didn't do many aristocrats in gold plate.Look for a scratch or wear,especially around the lower thumbhook and you should see silver plate underneath the gold. If there is no silver plate present its not gold plated. Also the snap in resonators should be gold plated Dave

Reply To Post

1. by Phreaxer
          (6 posts)

19 years ago

Im planning on taking a look at this horn, and I will definately look for those two things. The seller claims that it is original laquer and is gold. Here are some pictures he has provided to me.. [IMG]img.photobucket.com/albums/v442/Phreaxer/sax4.jpg[/IMG [IMG]img.photobucket.com/albums/v442/Phreaxer/sax3.jpg[/IMG [IMG]img.photobucket.com/albums/v442/Phreaxer/sax2.jpg[/IMG [IMG]img.photobucket.com/albums/v442/Phreaxer/sax1.jpg[/IMG

Reply To Post

2. by Phreaxer
          (6 posts)

19 years ago

3. by Dave Dix
          (421 posts)

19 years ago

That could be gold plate but 268K? Its a true tone buescher or a new aristocrat.These were done in gold plate but i thought by 268k they were same-sided bell keys Have a look at www.junkdude.com as he has a true tone alto in gold plate for $450 Dave

Reply To Post