Saxophone Forum

by sonycamfixer
(3 posts)
19 years ago

Selmer super action????

I purchase a sax in Tampa and I'm having a problem trying to I.D. It?? It has engraved (Selmer New York) on a flower back ground facing the front of the bell and is engraved on the back ( low pitch) serial # 37339 and has a silver finish. Is this a Super Action and what year was it made? Is there more than one type of silver sax ( silver plate or sterling ) and is Low picth the same as Baritone Eb or Bass Bb Thank You for your help bill

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Dave Dix
    (421 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Selmer super action????

This may not be a selmer but a conn saxophone.Conn made saxophones for selmer USA . Look at the low C key guard and does it look like a mercedes car logo.If so its a conn made selmer. Most silver horns are silver plated or nickel plated and low pitch is A=440Hz which is modern pitch and as long as the bari EB and bass Bb is low pitch(or modern) its the same Dave

Reply To Post

1. by sonycamfixer
      (3 posts)

19 years ago

all of the guards form a ( T) and are at ( 90 d) ?? Is there a marking to tell if it is nickel or silver??

Reply To Post

1. by Dave Dix
        (421 posts)

19 years ago

Silver will colour a cleaning cloth(with some silver polish on it) jet black where as nickel will just make it browny dirt colour Dave

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

19 years ago

Take a look at the following threads on this forum, where I discussed the Conn made Selmer NY with this gentleman. I, like Dave(and most of the sax history fraternity), was aware that Conn was the major stencil provider for this early Selmer model, however some horns are surfacing that were made by Buescher. This is apparently what you have as well. Here are the threads: www.saxquest.com/forumThreadView.asp?ForumUID=7&ThreadUID=3377 www.saxquest.com/forumThreadView.asp?ForumUID=7&ThreadUID=3394

Reply To Post

2. by sonycamfixer
          (3 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks, It is silver and I will tried to find the age and type, by serial number. If you want to see a picture I can send it to you.

Reply To Post

3. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

19 years ago

Please do send me some pictures. Not only would it help to positively identify the horn's true maker, It sounds like a nice horn. Glad for you that it turned out to be silver plate.

Reply To Post

4. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

19 years ago

By the way, If it is indeed a Buescher stencil, you are in luck regarding the Serial numbers. Most other manufacturers, Conn for example, didn't include their stencil production serial numbers in their regular listings. Their stencil serial number records didn't survive, so one can't use that source to date the horn. Usually NOT the case with Buescher, so you should be able to date it.

Reply To Post

5. by Dave Dix
          (421 posts)

19 years ago

Well if its a buescher stencil its as good as a conn if not better.Early bueschers were renowned for excellent intonation(unlike the first selmer models). Hope it can be identified correctly and i do love silver horns they seem a class of their own Dave

Reply To Post

6. by Dave Dix
          (421 posts)

19 years ago

Well after seeing the pictures i think you want to think twice about spending a lot of money!!! Its buescher made definitely but its a C melody not a tenor saxophone.I bet its about 26-27 inches long also its missing the octave mechanism and looks like a palmkey is broken,hope you have the parts as they are like rocking horse sh@$*&!!! Shame as these are nice mellow saxophones and fun to play Dave

Reply To Post

7. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

19 years ago

Ouch, sounds like a Frankenhorn. I hate it when that happens. You have my sympathies as well.

Reply To Post