Saxophone Forum

by tenor562
(297 posts)
19 years ago

Best Hard Case For Around $100?

I'm looking for a good contoured hard case for around $100 dollars. I have a YTS62II, and am looking for a more protective, smaller hard case that I can use to take through the rigors of band camp. I'm thinking SKB or Gator. Any other suggestions or comments would be gladly welcomed. Thanks again, -tenor562

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxismyaxe
    (575 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Best Hard Case For Around $100?

Both SKB and Gator cases are a good value for the money. I have cases by both makers, and am happy with them. I will say that if you travel with your horns via airlines etc. as I do, you would be wise to stay away from the Sax contoured/shaped cases. I have always wondered why anyone would want to advertise what is in the case and the resultant "Please steal me" red flags those cases signal.

Reply To Post

1. by captnskirk
      (1 post)

19 years ago

Hi, I read with great interest your response to SKB and Gator cases for a tenor. What do you recommend for a low A bari case? I have to travel to New York and Rome, Italy with my horn. I had a drop down case made. Its pretty industructable. But now I'm not sure if I want to lug this big case around. It has wheels. What do you think of the Mt Vernon or Winter cases? Thanx. Steve

Reply To Post

1. by CajunSax
        (76 posts)

19 years ago

I sure hope you've looked at Walt Johnson cases before you decided. They're more than $100 ($250-300 i think) but i don't want to compromise my Mark VI by being thrify with my case...especially if you're traveling. I have 3 (Bari, Tenor, & Alto) Johnson cases and would trade them for the world. check out www.johnsoncases.com

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

The SKB cases are very good. I purchased a few of them for different horns, and the SKB's fit fairly well, except for the Conn 6M. Few cases seem to fit this horn very well. The Johnson cases don't really have much room in them, that's my only complaint.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

19 years ago

Walt Johnson are certainly the most protective for alto and tenor (the bari versions have drawbacks in protecting the upper body). Bu WJ's are also some of the most expensive. Certainly worth it if you can afford it, but you need a neck pouch to store it in the bell and theer won;t be much room for more than one mouthpiece and a couple reeds unless you buy a case cover like the Cavallero, but that's another $80 or so. For around $100, I'm a fan of the ProTec Contoured ProPac. Do not buy the rectangular as they are soft sided. The contoured version has plywood and is slightly padded outside of that - very protective and very compact with decent storeage inside for a neck and mouthpiece along with additional zipper storage on the outside for a flute or more mouthpieces, though it's not hard protected.

Reply To Post

3. by CajunSax
          (76 posts)

19 years ago

I had Walt put in the slots on my Bari case for extra mpc's reeds, & the neck. This was no extra charge either. I love the wheels on my Bari case. Walt has his shop not too far from me so I guess that helps in those kind of requests. He'll make whatever you want if u just ask.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

4. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I suppose the thing to do with the Walt Johnson case would be to get one of the neck bags to store the neck with the horn, and keep mouthpieces, extra reeds and accessories in a seperate briefcase. I saw a post on here a while ago, where someone was making mouthpiece cases for sale. It looked like a pretty good idea. I bought a leather briefcase to keep my mic, extra reeds, reed cutter, and accessories in, so that whatever horn I decide to play, I don't have to transfer all my gear. They are great cases, but expensive and without much room. The SKB's are a nice case for the money though, and offer more protection than the soft gig-bag style cases.

Reply To Post Yahoo!