Saxophone Forum

by Berkleesax7
(1 post)
19 years ago

Need helpful Opinions on a Tenor Sax...

Hey....I am a college sax player and I currently own a selmer series three alto. I am looking to buy a tenor sax. I have heard a lot about the new Yamaha YTs-82z. I was wondering if any one has played on one or can help me out. How do Keilworths compare?..maybe a vintage H. Couf?...any advice would be appreciated..thanks!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Need helpful Opinions on a Tenor Sax...

Vintage Coufs and Keilwerths are excellent horns. Conn 10M's are extremely free blowing - great jazz horns. Vintage Selmers feel the opposite to me. They have a sweet tone but feel more resistant when it comes to playing boldly. I'm now into a vintage Keilwerth that reminds me, tonewise, of my old, departed SBA in how it sounds, but has a little more headroom. The 82Z's are nice, too, but I haven't played one enough to give a solid opinion compared to the others, and I'm more into resurrecting the old than buying the new.

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
      (575 posts)

19 years ago

I've had the opportunity to play quite a few 82Z's, and as far as modern horns go, they are in my top 5 pick. They have nice keywork, are free blowing, great scale and intonation. But when all is said and done, they just still don't have "the" sound. I was born and bred on vintage horns, and just can't find a modern horn that can compete in the sound department. Bottom line, check them out yourself. To hell with what others say, get the horn that YOU like.

Reply To Post

1. by west
        (242 posts)

19 years ago

Here are my top 3 brand choices in order1.Yamaha 2.Selmer 3. Keilwerth I suggest you try the YTS-875 Yamaha. Those are top of the line Yamahas, along with the 82z

Reply To Post

1. by west
          (242 posts)

19 years ago

Oh. and Berkleesax- Is your name, by any chance, Bill? What you said in your post reminded me of someone I've met before.

Reply To Post

2. by phathorn
          (165 posts)

19 years ago

The B&S Medusa line is supposed to be very nice as well as the Yanis...

Reply To Post

3. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Here's my top 5 NEW tenors in order. 1. Keilwerth SX 90 or SX 90R 2. Yamaha YTS 82Z or YTS 875 3. B & S Medusa 4. Selmer Reference 54 5.Selmer Super Action 80 For value, it's pretty hard to beat the Yamaha YTS 875 and 82Z. I love the sound of the Keilwerth. It's a darker, more vintage sound than the Yamaha. I couldn't agree more with saxismyaxe. The Yamahas play very well, but they just don't have the bold brassy sound that the old vintage horns have. I especially like the old Conn 10Ms and King Zephyrs and Super 20s.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

4. by someguy
          (80 posts)

19 years ago

All I can say is that I wish I was able to give an educated opinion on different horns. I only own a Kielwerth and absolutely love it. SX90, maybe one day I'll be able to own alot of vintage horns, but right now I'm lucky to have my JK. Once you get used to the feel of the right hand fingering of the JK, I think it is really comfortable. Thats me, good luck you have alot of choices!

Reply To Post

2. by turner47
        (1 post)

19 years ago

Hi berkleesax7. I've got a Couf Superba I tenor in 98%+ condition that I would like to sell. If interested: [email protected]

Reply To Post