Saxophone Forum

by Saxon
(100 posts)
19 years ago

mouthpiece for note bending?

I have a 1935 Conn alto, which has only 1 fault. top note F. i would like to get F# anyone know if a mouthpiece can allow note bends? i currently use a ymaha 5C and it doesnt bend enough. advice appreciated! Saxon

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

19 years ago

Re: mouthpiece for note bending?

You can bend a note up to some extent, but you should look into altissimo fingerings to achieve F# and above.

Reply To Post

1. by Saxon
      (100 posts)

19 years ago

Sorry but, I'm self taught, living in China where information is hard to find. Can you please enlighten me on altissimo fingering?

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I'm sorry, but that is information that I am not at liberty to share with the Chinese, or my American jazz friends would have me hung for treason!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I'm just kidding. Your best bet would be to look online in search of an altissimo fingering chart. This is just one of those things that has to be shown, and there are websites with fingering charts that could explain it much better than I could.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by Dave Dix
          (421 posts)

19 years ago

Try top front F and lefthand C then add low F righthand. Dave

Reply To Post

3. by Saxon
          (100 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks Dave But I only managed a nice F Just for the record I am an Anglo -Saxon Steve.

Reply To Post

4. by Dave Dix
          (421 posts)

19 years ago

Try adding the side Bb with or without the low F , together should give you high G Dave

Reply To Post

5. by Saxon
          (100 posts)

19 years ago

Tried the side Bb with front F and C but couldn't get it. I could hear a harmonic undertone amongst the squeaking but... Maybe I have a small air leak or something that prevents a clean note??? Steve

Reply To Post

6. by Dave Dix
          (421 posts)

19 years ago

With a 5c mpc you may need a bit heavier reed or a slightly wider tip mpc Dave

Reply To Post

7. by Dave Dix
          (421 posts)

19 years ago

Reply To Post

8. by Dave Dix
          (421 posts)

19 years ago

Reply To Post

9. by ebert
          (18 posts)

19 years ago

The fingering I use for F# when i dont' use my high f# key is: bkey, gkey, lower fkey, ebkey, and try it also with the dkey added. Different horns are able to use different fingerings, and you just need to experiment with this one and others that u find to figure out which one comes out the easiest. Try playing up into the note instead of going for it at the start. This will get your throut in the right position and will make it easier. Good luck

Reply To Post

10. by ebert
          (18 posts)

19 years ago

The fingering I use for F# when i dont' use my high f# key is: bkey, gkey, lower fkey, ebkey, and try it also with the dkey added. Different horns are able to use different fingerings, and you just need to experiment with this one and others that u find to figure out which one comes out the easiest. Try playing up into the note instead of going for it at the start. This will get your throut in the right position and will make it easier. Good luck

Reply To Post

11. by ebert
          (18 posts)

19 years ago

Reply To Post

12. by ebert
          (18 posts)

19 years ago

sorry for the multiple posts- I thought my browser was not working :)

Reply To Post

13. by Dave Dix
          (421 posts)

19 years ago

I had that problem as well!!! Dave

Reply To Post

14. by Saxon
          (100 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks guys I'll try your sugestion next Ebert? I actualy got an F# trying Dave's method again with a different reed and I found pushing my lower lip further down the mpc did the trick. It's not very reliable tho but I guess that's why we practice!

Reply To Post