Saxophone Forum

by SelmerReference54
(5 posts)
8 years ago

Reed makes big difference in sound

Hi All,

I am newbie in learning how to play Sax. I have two teachers, one is a jazz Saxophonist, and the other one is a classical Saxophonist. I have taken a lesson from the Jazz one for a year, but do not really go anywhere, because he does not know how to teach. Anyway, before I quit from him, I need to find a new teacher first. I found this classical Saxophonist.

At the first lesson, I was shocked how smooth his sound was. He is not a talkative person. Finally, I asked him what mouth piece that he used. He told me to get Vandoren AL3. Originally, I used Selmer Spirit with no. 2 read. The sound is so bright, I could not produce the kind of sound that my teacher produces. Finally, I got that Vandoren AL3, and I got no. 3 read. The sound was immediately better. But last night, I bought no. 3.5, wow, now I can sound like him. I thought that the mouth piece that contributes the color of the sound. Even the reed has a very important role in producing different color.

By the way, I cannot use read no. 3 with my Selmer Spirit (it has big opening). I cannot even produce any sound. 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Jonolockjaw
    (17 posts)

8 years ago

Re: Reed makes big difference in sound

Very interesting Im struggling to get the sound I want. Im using rico royal 3 at the moment, nice sound, but not the sound that really inspires me. Maybe I should give Vandoran another try. I could never really get on with them. I would be grateful for any tips on reed and matching openings to reed for that envious tone. But listening to enhanced studio recordings all the time, makes me wander will I ever get that tone RAW..... Thanks for your very interesting post keep it up............

Jean de Bourgonniere

Reply To Post

1. by SelmerReference54
      (5 posts)

8 years ago

What I found 3.5 gives me smoother and refine sound than if I use 3 or 2.5.
      I am very happy with Vandoren mouth piece.  

Reply To Post

1. by Catracer
        (6 posts)

6 years ago

It is really a good thing 

Can i get an Amen?

Reply To Post