Saxophone Forum

by NiceGuyEd
(6 posts)
19 years ago

What can you tell me about the Conn I've inherited?

Greetings all. I've found a Conn sax in my grandmother's attic and she knew nothing about it and said I could have it. From what I can tell, It's a Conn "Lady in the Bell" sax, but that's all I know. I don't play saxaphone and think I'm going to sell it. I've been offered $900 for it, but don't know if that's an appropriate price... too high or too low? The person interested in buying it said it needs some minor repair, but plays wonderfully and is in great shape. Here's the # on the back: PATD. Dec. 8.1914. 1119954 A M245441 L Here's a pic of it: lsmedia.biz/FORSALE/sax_top.jpg Could anyone offer any insight? Thanks a million! Ed

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by west
    (242 posts)

19 years ago

Re: What can you tell me about the Conn I've inherited?

I can't find the picture but my c melody has the same 1119954 It seems like it's an alto and my sax's year is 1923 so i'm assuming it's the same for you That's about all I can tell you

Reply To Post

1. by NiceGuyEd
      (6 posts)

19 years ago

Hmm... I'm not sure why the image is not working. Can you tell me an estimated value? here's another try at that image: www.lsmedia.biz/FORSALE/sax_top.jpg

Reply To Post

1. by Dave Dix
        (421 posts)

19 years ago

Thats a conn alto sax from 1931 model 6m (may have v111 stamped on it) superb horn worth more then $900 . ($1200-$1500) to the right person but it also depends on condition, playability and dent wise Check out completed sales for an average price on ebay.

Reply To Post

1. by NiceGuyEd
          (6 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks from the reply. I'm not seeing v111 anywhere nor 6m. Does that mean it's not a 6m ... or are they not necessarily stamped with v111? Thanks for any further insight. Ed

Reply To Post

2. by definition
          (963 posts)

19 years ago

Its still a 6M, VIII was just a particular series of 6Ms produced around that time, which are some of the better 6Ms But truth be told, if a 6M is in good condition and playable, They are killer horns, regardless of what vintage thay are

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by Dave Dix
          (421 posts)

19 years ago

It could be a VERY LATE transitional new wonder (chu berry) with same sided bell keys but i still think its a very early 6M Dave

Reply To Post

4. by west
          (242 posts)

19 years ago

From the picture it also looks as if you'll be able to get a good price if you sell.

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Yes, Dave is correct on the year, but it's not "officially" a 6M. It's most likely an artist series horn. The 6M wasn't officially named a 6M until 1934. There was a lot of experimenting though as early as 1928, and I've seen essentially the same horn as the 6M as early as 1930. If this horn has the B and Bb keys on opposite sides of the bell, then it's more like the New Wonder Series II, or "Chu Berry". If it has both keys on the same side, it's more like the later 6M. The later 6M;s also had an underslung octave key mounted on the bottom of the neck instead of the top. I couldn't find the picture either. I'd really like to see some pictures. You can email them to me if you'd like. If it is a gold plated portrait model, in good condition, they are worth as much as $3500. I'm assuming that this one probably needs some work from age; a good cleaning, new pads, corks, etc. As long as the horn is complete and not damaged, even needing an overhaul, a gold artist portrait model is worth $1800-$2000. West, the number that you are referring to is the patent number, not the serial number. The patent is for the rolled tone holes. I have a 1922 Conn New Wonder Series I C Melody, and they are really nice old horns. If you can find a new C Melody mouthpiece, these old straight neck Conns have pretty good intonation. I use a # 3 bass clarinet reed with my LeBlanc Woodwind mouthpiece.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Ed. I finally got your picture to come up. WOW! What you have is essentially a 6M. It's a gold plated artist model, and looks to be in much better shape than I suspected. This is one of the best alto saxophones ever made, and any collector would KILL to have one of these! It's worth $3000 easily!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

4. by west
        (242 posts)

19 years ago

Jim -can you give me an extremely rough worth of my 1923 c melody. I know it's off topic but I've been so curious

Reply To Post

5. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

West, The straight neck Conn new wonders are the most valuable of the C Melodies. They are becoming more and more sought after by collectors, but they are quite plentiful. I'll send you some pictures of the one I restored. In average condition, a Conn New Wonder C Melody is worth $500-$600. In very good condition with fresh pads, corks, etc. maybe as much as $1000. It really depends on the condition. I bought mine on ebay for $300. It did play, but it needed some work, pads, adjustements, etc. Some of the pads were original.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

6. by west
        (242 posts)

19 years ago

By average, you mean not bad but not wonderful either right? My friend told me they were only worth 100. I trust you for two reasons. You have a lot more knoweledge about saxes than my friend and you say it's worth more. I am actually restoring my case right now. It's the original, but i tore off the black stuff on the outside, sanded it down to plain wood, and i'm going to put a clear protective coat over it. On the inside, I tore out ugly maroon colored fabric(probably original) and i'm goin to add cushion and put a vibrent yellow(simpsons yellow if you know them). I'm having a shoe repair man put new leather on the original handle and i'm going to polish the old locks on it. If i figure out how to I will also post pictures when i'm done

Reply To Post

7. by Dave Dix
        (421 posts)

19 years ago

Best to put that ugly maroon colour back. i t would be original as this is the colour used by conn to show the sax better as the case is opened unless you supply sunglasses to all admirers first Dave

Reply To Post

8. by saxismyaxe
        (575 posts)

19 years ago

I don't know about the Maroon color, but I have to admit that I really love the "Pimp Daddy" Royal Purple that so many 1920's sax cases were lined with. Wish I could find a source for that exact color velvet to use on some of my case restorations.

Reply To Post

9. by definition
        (963 posts)

19 years ago

When I go for case retoration, I usually go for something off the wall. Open the case of my "the Martin Alto, you have 12 different colors in the lining glaring back at you!!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

10. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Yeah, My c Melody case has that same "Pimp Daddy" royal Purple and I like it! I like your idea of sanding down the outside though. You know what might be really cool, would be to look up pictures of famous sax players, like Carney, Parker, Desmond, etc. Print out their pics, cut them out and glue them to the case, and then polyerthane over the top of them to seal them in.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

11. by west
        (242 posts)

19 years ago

That would be awesome! I think i'll go to the dollar store to get sunglasses for the admirers. Does anybody know how i'll be able to post pics when i'm done?

Reply To Post

12. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Find a floral print to match the shirts like Definition was talking about in another post! I highly recommend the "Pimp Daddy Purple".

Reply To Post Yahoo!

13. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

My King Super 20 case has periwinkle blue interior with an embroidered pattern on it like a crest or something. It looks cheesy. It's padded nice though. It's in nice shape. The horn is all original with like 99.999% lacquer, so I don't play it out much. It roars though! It'll make people's hair stand up when I play it! Even bald people!!! haha.

Reply To Post Yahoo!