Saxophone Forum

by nad1rn
(37 posts)
19 years ago

Going for a David Sanborn sound...

I play a yamaha custom z with a selmer c* and rovner and vandoren zz's. I need a mouthpiece that will give me something resembling David Sanborn's sound on Full House, Crossfire, or Hey. The reason being is I put together a small combo to play Full House for the Talent Show. We have been practicing but I notice that my C* is lacking in edge. Anything helps. thanks, Nadir

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Going for a David Sanborn sound...

Find a high baffle, metal mouthpiece

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by definition
    (963 posts)

19 years ago

Find a high baffle, metal mouthpiece

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by YanagisawA-901
      (312 posts)

19 years ago

i seeee, an overpriced mark 6, your lifes worth of studio equipment, and an amazing sound tech in your near future..

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by BBBlackbird
        (1 post)

19 years ago

Hi " YanagisawA-901 ", overpriced? The 1967s (SN# 140-150K) Sanborn era horns are in the $5-6K range, but my 149K MkVI indeed sounds more reedy/rich/buzzy than my 1972 MkVI and the 1952 SBA I had, as well as many other MkVIs I have tried troughout my 20years R&B/Jazz. However, I think your chaps, the sax neck(!) and the mouthpiece/reed/lig setup are more crucial for a specific tone. Do the 1967 MkVI have a specific neck bore others don't? I thought Dave plays a Dukoff D7 or D9 Super Power Chamber that was modified by Will Grizzle (check the web).

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan88
          (318 posts)

19 years ago

Go to the link below this one in my previous post. HE says it himself he uses a Dukoff D6 along with a Harrisson ligiature and Vandoren 2 & 1/2's

Reply To Post

2. by nad1rn
        (37 posts)

19 years ago

gee...thankx!!!

Reply To Post AIM

1. by SaxMan88
          (318 posts)

19 years ago

Yea...basically what Yani said...plus a record contract as well. Seriously, my thoughts are that no one can get a "so and so" sound. You can try, and you might get close, but you're NOT David Sanborn, I'm not David Sanborn, our physical makeup (like muscles in the cheeks and jaws and etc) is not that of his. So even if we get the Mark VI, the metal Dukoff 6, the Vandoren 2&1/2's, and a Harrisson Ligiature (which I have yet to find, thank you) we will only get close to the sound he has. Even then if ya don't have enough chops (I don't know if you do or don't, I'm just saying) you won't even get close. But as I listed above; if you want to try; Mark VI, Bobby Dukoff 6, Vandoren 2&1/2's and a Harrisson Ligiature (not Joel Harrisson). I found this out on david-sanborn.com You'll have to look at the link for equipment and you'll see it for yourself. He even soaks his reeds, so that's another point. Maybe you'll take my thoughts into consideration, maybe not. Either way, I wish you the best of luck!

Reply To Post

2. by nad1rn
          (37 posts)

19 years ago

i know that there is know way to duplicate the sound exactly, but i need a mouthpeice that has some edge and sticks out. can you suggest anything?? thankx

Reply To Post AIM

3. by SaxMan88
          (318 posts)

19 years ago

I did Bobby Dukoff Metal 6. That's the same exact one he uses. One thing to be careful of tho, I've heard the newer Dukoff's are picky. If you get a good one, you'll love it. If you get a lemon (which aren't all that rare), you'll hate it. Test a bunch out, then pick the one ya want. If you want to go with Dukoff. I'd go with the Dukoff 6 if I was trying to get a DS type sound out of my horn. Good luck!

Reply To Post

4. by bmcguire
          (45 posts)

19 years ago

The Dukoff is a odd setup and I have found them to be very unflexible. A dukoff sound will give you that Sanborn style tone, unfortunatley it makes it very hard to have a Cannonball or a Desmond type sound. You will be limited to that brassy edgy sound (than just memorize a bunch of pentatonic scales and voila - Sanborn!) I would instead suggest a Beechler (I use a S8S) I find it to be very flexible, which is probably the most important thing to look for in a setup. What I mean by this is for me this setup lets me load my complete playlist in my computer (stuff from Sanborn, Cannonball, Gerald, Desmond, Parker, Maceo, Nelson Rangell, Kirk Whalum, etc...) go through and sound like anybody I want. I'm not trying to be anybodies clone, but it's a good excercise in listening and it helps you find your own voice, which I would hope is the goal of everybody here! So my long winded point is... Find a setup that is comfortable and that feels good. Than find your sound. A C* won't get it done but you will be suprised to find that you can change your tone more than any mouthpiece!

Reply To Post