Saxophone Forum

by dhopson
(8 posts)
19 years ago

Hard rubber discoloration

I have a Selmer hard rubber mpc for my sop that is less than 3 years old, but has turned that lubberly milk chocolate color. Is there a way to get the black back?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by thefletch
    (1 post)

15 years ago

Re: Hard rubber discoloration

so i use an old otto link hard rubber of my teachers and its looking rancid so i cleaned it in warm water and it discolored, and i have been freaking out and i just used "F21" tire cleaner cause it says it will clean rubber and is non-acid and non-toxic so i tried it and it took almost all the color away and if u use it with a soft bristle brush it helps too and so far it is almost all off. hope this helps. :)

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
      (930 posts)

15 years ago

Fletch, this was posted in 05. Don't you think you are a bit late with your advice.........Kelsey
      Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

2. by saxall60
    (29 posts)

15 years ago

Turned chocolate ? your are lucky, my teacher gave me one old which was green as military, with a very bad taste. I washed up with cold water and soap but it stay dark green !

Reply To Post

3. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

"I have a Selmer hard rubber mpc for my sop that is less than 3 years old, but has turned that lubberly milk chocolate color". That, my friend is because it is a Selmer piece and it's not made of hard rubber, but rather.....fossilized SHIT!, and that is the reason for the brown color! Ok, I'm joking! Come on, laugh! My guess is that this is a chemical reaction to the acid in your saliva. Try cleaning the mouthpiece with liquid dish soap and a tooth brush. You'll want to clean your mouthpiece with soap and water whenever you're done using it. I would also be sure to swab your horn a couple times and wipe it down with a cloth too.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by definition
      (963 posts)

19 years ago

Haha, I like your analogy on the selmer piece. Actually, the discoloration is something that eventually will happen to every rubber mouthpiece, sometimes quicklyi dont have a rubber piece over 10 years without some type of discoloration. Dont worry about it though, it wont hurt you, or the performance of the piece Though if it concerns you, spray paint it!!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by someguy
        (80 posts)

19 years ago

Just make sure the spray paint isnt lead based. Not good!

Reply To Post

1. by west
          (242 posts)

19 years ago

but make sure the paint is very toxic. If i'm lieingn i'm dieing I do love the smell of the toxins. Paint, markers, and gasoline, actually. I find it pleasing

Reply To Post

2. by dhopson
          (8 posts)

19 years ago

I promise, only the good stuff ;)

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by sax_maniac
        (984 posts)

19 years ago

Hard rubber oxidizes and discolors - particularly if it is exposed to lots of UV. Different compositions of hard rubber oxidize more than others, so some pieces will turn more quickly than others. The only way to get the shiny black back is to buff off the very thin layer of oxidized material, though I don't advise you doing that yourself unless you are prepared to throw the piece away if you screw up the tip, rails, or table.

Reply To Post

1. by Tranesyadaddy
          (279 posts)

16 years ago

I've restored a few old and discolored rubber mpc's to like-new with a bit of old towel and some toothpaste. it has a very mild abrasive effect so you can really go at it without worrying abot the lay or tip. you know it's working when the towel turns brown.

Reply To Post

1. by Tranesyadaddy
            (279 posts)

16 years ago

lol @ west. I always smell the gasoline cap when re-fuelling.

Reply To Post

1. by JBTSAX
              (364 posts)

16 years ago

Washing an old hard rubber mouthpiece in hot water seems to speed up the color changing process. Cold water works best. I second the buffing suggestion. Following another tech's advice I soaked a badly discolored mouthpiece in full strength Clorox for 30 minutes prior to buffing. It worked beautifully on one piece and only moderately well on another. It is possible that the chemical compositions of the materials are different for different pieces. John

Reply To Post

2. by Tranesyadaddy
              (279 posts)

16 years ago

I think so. I've got a vintage soloist that turns brown, and a 'vintage' C** that turns green.

Reply To Post

3. by Tranesyadaddy
              (279 posts)

16 years ago

an S80 c** that is. nice quality ebonite, it just needs a little help from the mouthpiece guys.

Reply To Post

4. by CountSpatula
              (602 posts)

16 years ago

Tranesyadaddy it may help to wait and think before you hit the post button...you double post more than anyone I know, hehe.

Reply To Post AIM

5. by Tranesyadaddy
              (279 posts)

16 years ago

Hey, don't cramp my style.

Reply To Post

6. by CountSpatula
              (602 posts)

16 years ago

Aiiight. ;)

Reply To Post AIM

7. by bcu
              (8 posts)

6 years ago

I know this post regarding green mouthpieces is old, but I just came across it.  I have found that using tooth paste (not jell) with and electic tooth brush (I used an oral B) removes 90%+ of the green oxidation. When I do a section at a time I rub the paste off with a towel. You will see the green on the towel.

Brian 

Reply To Post