Saxophone Forum

by BJoey
(1 post)
8 years ago

Vintage Buescher True Tone low pitch series II

Hello friends, I have a Buescher True tone Low pitch #59776, could anyone be able to give me some additional info about the quality and value of the sax? I was told it was made around 1918 and the brass they used for manufacturing came from world war 1 (Is it true?). it is the same as this one: http://www.saxpics.com/?v=gal&a=5775  any help would be much appreciated thank you.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

8 years ago

Re: Vintage Buescher True Tone low pitch series II

Your horn is completely antiquated and unless it is in great condition and has some rare feature of historical interest to collectors it has very little value.

Until well after that horn was made, all saxophones were made of "military brass" or "cartridge brass" because the generic brass stock from which they were made conformed to the standards of the ammunition industry.

Reply To Post

1. by saxgourmet
      (127 posts)

8 years ago

I would be MOST interested to see some conclusive documentation about the use of cartridge brass claim......please, please, please cite chapter, page number, and verse......not "somebody tod me" or "I once read somewhere".....if it's actually true, it would be documented.....please tell us where

STEVE GOODSON
      New Orleans
      www.nationofmusic.com

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
        (842 posts)

8 years ago

Fair enough.  

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cartridge%20brass

"a wrought brass containing usually about 70 percent copper and 30 percent zinc and having sufficient ductility and other properties to stand the severe mechanical treatment necessary in making cartridge cases"

That formula should be very familiar.  The same properties that make it suitable for making ammo make it suitable for forming into complex shapes such as musical instruments.

Reply To Post