Saxophone Forum

by SelmerParisPassion
(59 posts)
19 years ago

Ack! Freak Martin- Needs identification help

I'm selling an old Martin I got a few years ago, and have found a body style/ serial number clash. The serial NUmber, 146xxx indicates roughly 1941-44, but the body style indicates otherwise. A fancy engracing, split bell keys, gold plate, and beveled tone holes. The link tot he auction is below. I'm more of a Conn/Buescher person, and know virtually nothing when it comes to Martins. I took close up pictures in the description, and I can't figure out what it is. cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16232&item=7313076117&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW Thanks so much for your time Christie J

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Dave Dix
    (421 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Ack! Freak Martin- Needs identification help

Serial number sugests a committee 2 but the picture is clearly a martin handcraft and early around 1925'ish. No front F but its a goldplated one. A lot of the early g/p martins had elaborate engraving a bit like the conn artist series. Dave

Reply To Post

1. by west
      (242 posts)

19 years ago

Are the Martins from the 50s still good horns

Reply To Post

1. by SelmerParisPassion
        (59 posts)

19 years ago

Yeah, this sax is an awesome player- I iwsh I could keep it around, but if I did that with all the saxes I liked, well, I wouldn't have room to live in my house :P Thanks so much for your help, it's very very very much appreciated! ^^ Christie J

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by definition
          (963 posts)

19 years ago

Yeah, 50s Martins are killer, my main gigging alto is a '53 "The Martin", and It hasnt been beat yet!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM