Saxophone Forum

by Adam1101
(1 post)
8 years ago

My great great grandfathers saxophone

My grandmother handed me down her grandfathers saxophone but I cant not tell which model it is.  On the bell it says CG Conn Ltd. and has the serial number A M223586 L on it.  I would really apreciate the help.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Saxquest
    (420 posts)

8 years ago

Re: My great great grandfathers saxophone

This could be a great sax after a restoration. This is a late 20's Chu Berry alto saxophone Made be C.G. Conn. Best of luck!!

Cheers,
    Mark Overton
    Saxquest.com  

Reply To Post

1. by NightShaman
      (1 post)

8 years ago

Hi there, I have a very similar situation, except my serial number is M226794. After looking at the pictures of saxes in the same number range, the ones I've seen all have fancy inscribing all around the bell. Mine does not, except for the Conn logo.

What is the difference between them? Also, what would these saxes be quoted at right now? (In good playing condition) 

Reply To Post

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
        (644 posts)

8 years ago

the simpler logo engraved horns were either nickel plated or bare brass originally. They sold for a few bucks cheaper, maybe 50 dollars cheaper than the silver plated horns with more floral engraving.

If yours is lacquered brass, it was lacquered in later years after manufacturing.

They did a lot of this, since lacquer became the norm around 1935 on.

Reply To Post

2. by historicsaxwhisperer
        (644 posts)

8 years ago

Value. It comes down to condition and how well it is refurbished.

Consider 750 to 1250 set up  playing nicely with any dent ding work done.

Reply To Post