Saxophone Forum

by lliciass
(1 post)
7 years ago

Putting saxophone together

Recently my friend and I have been fighting about how to put our instruments together. We're both experienced players of the sax. (I play Bari and he plays Alto) I was taught that you had to put the mouthpiece onto the neck then the reed and ligature on but he claims it doesn't matter. does it matter how it is put together or is there a specific way that is most effective? Thanks for the help!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Saxquest
    (420 posts)

7 years ago

Re: Putting saxophone together

Well, this is a debatable topic. Of course, it doesn't matter how you put it together so long as you're careful and get it together without accidentally causing damage to the instrument.
    However, I always recommend putting the mouthpiece on the neck first and then putting the neck with mouthpiece attached on the horn. I don't really care when you put the reeds and lig on.
         Most of the bent neck issues we see in the shop are caused by people forcing their mouthpiece on the neck cork when the neck is attached and accidentally pulling the neck down and bending it. So, if you can get in the habit of putting the mouthpiece on first you'll avoid that accident all together. 

Cheers,
         Mark Overton
         saxquest.com  

Reply To Post

2. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

7 years ago

Re: Putting saxophone together

mouthpiece onto neck where you normally place it.

Reed onto mouthpiece, then ligature into position.

Do the pop seal test, palm on back neck opening, such air out of mouthpiece, to make sure you got a solid seal.

Neck onto horn.

Reply To Post