Saxophone Forum

by reccos150
(7 posts)
19 years ago

Latin Improvising?

My jazz band just got this new Latin piece called Mambo Hot and it calls for a tenor sax solo. I hate the written one and want to either improvise or write anew solo out. I have some experience with jazz and Blues improvising but I can't seem to get a Latin sound. I was wondering if you guys knew if there were something like certain Latin scales or anything that would help me would be great. Right now all I can do is listen to Latin music and try to get a feel it. Any help would be greatly appreciated Thank you, Ryan

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by tee196
    (31 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Latin Improvising?

I know what you mean. Next year we are doing a song called Samba Del Gringo (its so hard ) and has 2 tenor improv solo's. The only thing i can tell you is really focus on accents, in latin music the accents are everything. I would recommend looking for a latin improvisation book, they do make them, i would search on google you should get some good books, if i find one that sounds good i'll let you know. Good Luck, latin is fun and hard!!! umm remember its all in the accents.

Reply To Post

1. by Sonny_Rollins
      (18 posts)

19 years ago

Hey man, I'm latino and what you posted is insulting to me and my people. WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT OUR MUSIC, tee196????!?!?!

Reply To Post

1. by tee196
        (31 posts)

19 years ago

Hello, Im very sincerely sorry, i did not mean to insult anyone and im sorry for making it seem this way. At no point did i want to insult you or your people, im not that kind of person, and so i would really like to sincerely apologize. And i do. Could you perhaps tell me on what i said that offended you so i know not to say anything such as that again. Thank You, once again im sorry. Maybee could u perhaps explain a little bit about your music so i will not be mistaken, thank you for your time. ~Tee196

Reply To Post

1. by reccos150
          (7 posts)

19 years ago

Sonny Rollins, I think you are reading to much into this, he was just trying to give me some tips for what helped him when he was playing. It is obvious we all enjoy playing it and I don't think he meant any insult. Maybe you could share with us your tips, please. Thank You, Reccos150 P.S. Thank you for the helpful pointers tee196

Reply To Post

2. by RoYrOy
          (51 posts)

19 years ago

I don't know what that guy's problem is, but I'm from Puerto Rico, talk about latin. And the way I see it, you just feel a solo out, play what you feel. Isnt' that's what music about? Hey yeah you can play a writen solo, it helps you get music language but if you don't feel it, what's the point? Feel it man, it's music

Reply To Post

3. by BurnPianoIslandBurn
          (6 posts)

19 years ago

fo sho man jus feel da musik. oh yea sonny i was lmao after that dude replied 2 u

Reply To Post AIM