Saxophone Forum

by Innue
(4 posts)
19 years ago

Looking for suggestions for models of soprano sax

I have recently been looking for a soprano saxaphone on ebay. I see a lot of them are for under $400. I like that but I have no clue if the brands are any good. I have seen a lot of bently brands but have never heard of them. Also, i saw a few SCHILL #1139. Are any of these any good? Note if anyone know where to get a cheap L.A. Soprano saxophone that would make me happier. I like L.A. . Note: Don't try to sell me anything...

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxitup
    (49 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Looking for suggestions for models of soprano sax

I bought a new jupiter 547GL a few months ago. Although its not a top of the line yanni or yamaha its a decent sounding sax for $850. I bought it from Music and Arts center and came with a 12 month warranty. I returned it once to repair a leak and for tweaking. Its made in Tiawann....although it use to be made in japan until a few years ago. The horn plays nicely through my clip on mic and PA.

Reply To Post

2. by doctoxin
    (8 posts)

19 years ago

I have been playing for more than 40 years and just replaced my old 1930 vintage Buescher with a demo model LA Sax (alto model 750) from Orpheus Music in San Antonio. They are the US distributors for LA Sax. If you call them they can help you. The demo models are reduced to less than half the original MSRP. Also check with Kessler and Sons Music in Las Vegas. They carry Antigua, have good deals and are now selling saxes with their name on it. Not sure of the quality but the shop has an excellent reputation with the Vegas musicians and most go their for repairs. I prefer the LA Sax horns over Yamaha and Yanagisawa. I had a Yani 901SC and got rid of it to replace it with an LA Sax. My all-time favorite sax player is Jay Beckstein and he endorses the LA's. I am also a big Eric Marienthal fan but Eric is one of those rare players that can make a sewer pipe sound good. Good luck/

Reply To Post

3. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

There have been several posts related to these cheaper horns left by people who have owned them. Most of these Chinese made instruments are NOT very good because: 1. Poor quality pads that do not last. Some are not even leather. 2. Soft keys made of white metal or pewter that break or bend easily. 3. Unlevel poorly cut tone holes with sharp edges that cut into pads. 4. Poor overall build quality, key alignment, and set up. .....And numerous other reasons. LA Sax is a decent horn for the money. The Winstons are not too bad, or Antigua Winds. The horns that are made in Taiwan are better than those made in China, for the most part.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by jazzy jay
      (1 post)

19 years ago

Wow, let me share a little personal information with you. I have played many horns, Vito-Yam-Yan-Sel-Al-Conn-King-Win-Mart etc. in December 04, I walked into my local music shop, just looking around at first. and I test played the LA Sax 750 alto, I thought right away, that the horn was great, I was so impressed that when I got home, I went straight to the computer and ordered one directly from wwbw.com (Black) I didnt do any research, or investigations on the horn, before I purchased it. I had 45 days to play test it, before the final purchase. remind you, I already had horns, I mixed and matched with mpcs until I put my Otto Link metal 6*, I usually played the Rico Jazz 3m reeds, I moved to Rico Platicovers #3 and the Eddie D II Lig. tilted forward, and the sound blasted out with a sharp, deep, rounded, and full sound, that fit my taste to a tee. it cost me $1,700 dollars, the reeds were 14, and the lig. 27, to make a long story short, I just sold all of the other horns, put the money in the bank, and finally realized that I could have saved myself alot of money a long time ago, by just dropping into the local music centers and test playing different horns. Oh I still have my winston it was my first horn nearly 20 years ago. I would agree with the others, be careful when purchasing a starter horn, I dont even recommend that, unless you get the Bundy-Vito-Yam starters. if your serious about playing.

Reply To Post

2. by Innue
      (4 posts)

19 years ago

are any of the soprano's on ebay any good??? I need something cheap yet works well. Otherwise I won't be able to afford one because all the catologs I get at school are expensive...

Reply To Post

4. by pverda
    (1 post)

19 years ago

Does anyone have comments about the Bently model of soprano saxes? I see a bunch offered on eBay but haven't heard much about these. Thanks....

Reply To Post

5. by CraigBMM
    (4 posts)

19 years ago

those Schill 's are German made and are said to be high quality and sound great . anyone know if this is true?

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

HaHaHaHa choke choke gasp choke gasp; Schill saxophones high quality and sound great? German made? Anyone know if this is true? Craig Craig craig.....are you sitting down my friend? NO! THEY'RE NOT MADE IN GERMANY! Notice, they are "German Engineered" They're made in China. Santa's elves could build a better sax out of wood and paper!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by CraigBMM
        (4 posts)

19 years ago

hey thanks for the info .. have you heard one?

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

19 years ago

"hey thanks for the info .. have you heard one?" I have...............think party favor with a few holes punched in it for good measure, because that is the sound/scale you are going to get. These are junk instruments (not surprising, there has to be some reason why a new sax costs under $400.00, right?) and should be passed up without hesitation, TRUST ME. If money is tight, seek out a quality vintage horn, or look into the nice Antigua 500 series of Sopranos (great value, fine horn).

Reply To Post

2. by CraigBMM
          (4 posts)

19 years ago

well i dont really believe it has to cost over $1000 to sound good. and you never know saxi there could be decent products out there below that cost .. people are finding cheaper ways to do things all the time .. but i'll take your word for it since you have heard one . thanks for sharing. btw i did do some research on these Schill horns and some people have said the Soprano sax doesnt sound to bad. one saying it was one of the better ones he has played. so i wouldnt label all of them.

Reply To Post

3. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

"well i dont really believe it has to cost over $1000 to sound good." I don't believe you can $1500! The Schills are junk! I've heard them, played them, and swore at them! The Winston, LA Sax, Antigua Winds, and Jean Baptist saxophones are the better "budget" horns. The Keilwerth ST (student model) made by Jupiter sells for around $1,200 new, and they are a pretty good soprano. For something good, like a Yamaha, Yanagisawa, or a Selmer, you're going to pay around $1800 or more. The Keilwerth SX-90 like I play you can find for around $2700 if you shop around. Keilwerth has some new JK models that are less expensive.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

4. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Somehow I deleted half my first sentence. I don't believe you can buy a GOOD sax new for less than $1500! THere are a few mediocre budget horns; Taiwanese made Selmer copies like Antigua Winds for example. These horns at least have the ability to play and sound halfway decent with a better mouthpiece and a good adjustment. Schill, Millwaukee, Monique, Band Now, the Saxophone.com horns, blessing, and some of the other cheap Chinese made horns are so bad they cannot be adjusted, and the pleather pads don't last any time at all!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

5. by CraigBMM
          (4 posts)

19 years ago

amen brother!

Reply To Post

6. by bmcguire
          (45 posts)

19 years ago

I am mostly an Alto and Tenor player so didn't want another $3000 horn at the time. I bought a Winston 350B and it plays really well. No, it's not a series III or a YSS-875 but it sounds good, looks nice seems to be okay quality and it was good enough to play 2 packed houses at Washington D.C. famous Blus Alley. I will buy a better Sop, just to add to the collection for $500 you can 't beat this Winston

Reply To Post

7. by jaggtagg7
          (40 posts)

19 years ago

not that i dissagree or want to start any arguements, just wondering if those that are flaming "cheaper" brands, what ones have you tested yourself?

Reply To Post AIM

8. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I've played a couple Moniques, Winstons, Jean Baptists, and Kohlerts, and a few others that were basically the same crappy horn sold under a different name. I don't even bother with them anymore. I can pick one up, and look at it and know it's junk without even trying to play it. I wouldn't want to take a chance on somebody hearing me play one, and assuming that's how I sound!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

9. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

And by the way, the Winstons and Antiqua Winds are not too bad for the money. Better than some of the others that I have tried. The Schills and Millwaukees are terrible.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

10. by someguy
          (80 posts)

19 years ago

I think Yamadog YSS475 is a decent middle budget horn. I wish it had the removable neck but it plays pretty good and was 1100 in mint condition. It was like 9 months old and I got a Rovner mouthpiece with it from the guy. I will upgrade some day but for now it works.

Reply To Post

11. by lejazzhotsax
          (15 posts)

19 years ago

Anybody out there familiar with the Mason Pro line of saxes? Are we talking China or Taiwan production? Any experience playing them?

Reply To Post

12. by mrd
          (137 posts)

19 years ago

LA SAX

The best straight soprano I have ever played. HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT, AND YOU CAN'T BEAT THE PRICE. BETTER THAN THE YANI BY FAR....

Reply To Post

13. by doctoxin
          (8 posts)

19 years ago

Re: LA SAX

I just got one and I used to have a Yani - sold it. Did not like the way the Yani sounded. The LA Sax? Yes, it is one of the best instruments I have ever played. Excellent intonation from top to bottom. Jerry from Orpheus is great to deal with. The mouthpiece that comes with it is not the best but it is a good back-up (it even works with clarinet reeds).

Reply To Post

14. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: LA SAX

The LA Sax sopranos are pretty good. I've played a couple of them. Better than a Yani? I don't know. It's pretty hard to beat the Yani's for playability and intonation. I do agree with you though. The sound of the Yani's is definately lacking character. The LA Sax and my Keilwerth SX-90 are very similar in design and sound. For the money, they're pretty hard to beat.

Reply To Post Yahoo!