Saxophone Forum

by gimper48
(4 posts)
7 years ago

i am 46 and just now trying to learn the sax. i need help.

so i decided to learn the sax after loving the sound of it my whole life.  i read the forums all over on older people picking up music.  most of what i read says get a sax (rental or purchase) and a good instrucotor.  i did a TON of research and picked up a yani 901 silver plated alto.  so on to my question.  how can i tell a good instructor when i cannot even read music?  i know i have a long way to go.  i can play merrily we roll along :)  i want to get to the point where i can play jazz n blues.  any positive feedback welcome.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

7 years ago

Re: i am 46 and just now trying to learn the sax. i need help.

Go to a local music store and they have beginner books. They come with a C/D DVD that can help you learn to put it together, correct reed placement and learning the beginner basics.

You can teach this to yourself.  An elementary school teacher with  six beginning sax players is more a babbysitter than an instructor. TEACH YOURSELF the basics.

Then move on to a teacher after you think you are awesome because you taught yourself.

A good teacher will then beat you down to reality quickly. Good Luck

Reply To Post

1. by gimper48
      (4 posts)

7 years ago

Thanks for the advise.  This seems opposite of what I read so far.   Most of what I read so far is that teaching myself I will be struggling with things that an instructor would address quickly.   I am happy to try it this wey though as I learn best on my own.  Assuming the dvd instructions are clear.  IS there a DVD self teaching options that you recommend or others would recommend.  There are a LOT of things out there.  I know they cannot all be quality products.  

Reply To Post

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
        (644 posts)

7 years ago

i spend my share of time at thrift shops, looking for saxophones to buy cheap, but magazines are always there. All the schools seem to use a method that includes a DVD. I see them all the time. Students start, give it up, and the books show up for resale at 9 cents. The music store would be your best place to start. They will have someone on hand to direct you to get started.

It sounds like you got the hand position started, so you truly wont in any way be wasting your time. The saxophone is the easiest instrument to play......Badly, so just jump on in!!

Reply To Post

2. by kelsey
      (930 posts)

7 years ago

Having a saxophone instructor from the begining will save you a lot of time!  Contact your local Public School Instrumental Music (band) teacher. Ask him about reccomending a private lessons teacher for the sax. I was a Public Schools Music (band) Director at one time. I'm sure that one of them would be happy to help....

Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by gimper48
        (4 posts)

7 years ago

Most ppl say this from all the threads i have read.  like i said the first response was interesting in that it was opposite tgat.  i think i can try both at the same time..  not either or.

Reply To Post

1. by Amplified
          (1 post)

7 years ago

I am 49 and finished my sixth lesson yesterday with a reputable teacher. Go for it!

Reply To Post

2. by Peppers73
        (3 posts)

7 years ago

I'm 43 and started playing the alto sax 8 months ago. At first I looked at u tube videos on basics then after 1 month I started looking for a reputable sax teacher. I found a retired band teacher and college music professor who tutors privately on the side for a reasonable price. The reason I decided to learn from a professional is that I don't want to pick up any bad habits that will be hard to break. I grew up playing piano but like you I always loved the sound of the sax. Good luck on your musical journey. It is worth finding a reputable sax teacher though to make sure you are doing things correctly. Have Fun!!

Reply To Post

3. by SelmerReference54
        (5 posts)

7 years ago

I started when I was 48 year old. I do read music and can play other musical instrument really well. I found my first teacher in this website, he is a very fun teacher to talk. I still take lesson from him. It has been two years. Honestly, he cannot teach at all. But he was very nice. In the meantime being, I started another lesson but he is a classical saxophonist. Within 7 months, my quality of playing really improves dramatically.  My first teacher always gets baffled. He keeps saying how I can play so well without practicing enough. Before taking lesson from the second teacher, I rarely practiced. However, my second teacher is a Sax Nazi. He is very serious and strictly teaching, no talking etc. He is kind of weird, but I learned a lot from him.

If I were you, find a classical teacher. He will help you building a strong foundation.  

Reply To Post