Saxophone Forum

by Tully
(49 posts)
19 years ago

ligature for Berg tenor mouthpiece--stock, Oleg, Rovner?

I've ordered a Berg Larsen 105/1 M for tenor that should arrive soon, so if the Berg stock ligatures aren't that good, I would like to order a nicer one to go with it. I'm definitely a Rovner fan, but the Oleg ligature seems very interesting, so any feedback would be appreciated. You can get the Oleg for about $30 on eBay, so price isn't a concern there. No local stores sell the Oleg, so I can't just try one out (however, I'm waiting to hear from the eBay dealer regarding his return policy, so if I didn't like it, it might be OK anyway).

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Dave Dix
    (421 posts)

19 years ago

Re: ligature for Berg tenor mouthpiece--stock, Oleg, Rovner?

I find the stock berg ligs are pretty good and have never needed to change mine . Dave

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

When did Berg start making mouthpieces? I got a Berg piece and a couple other mouthpieces that came with a Buescher tenor I traded for recently. One of the pieces is a Brilhart Tonalin that is probably from the late 40's or early 50's. The other piece looks like a Meyer only I don't see Meyer written on it anywhere. It's a metal piece. It has a #3 on it. The berg is also metal. It's wider than most of the other metal pieces I've seen, and has a duck-bill like taper and a 2 screw ligature. I'm guessing it's about a #6 facing. Any ideas? I'm guessing this mouthpiece is also from the late 40's or early 50's. Possibly older.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by definition
        (963 posts)

19 years ago

berg started in the 40s. Those early ones are gonna have a slanted signature, a duckbill, and generally a much wider body than the newer ones

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM