Saxophone Forum

by Y.Suzuki
(3 posts)
7 years ago

Does this CG Conn worth the price?

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I live currently in Germany and start to learn Saxophone. My teacher wants to sell me one of his alto sax. It's CONN New wonder Serie I, assumedly made in 1924. It has new pads, original case and only a mini tiny dent on the bottom. But the lacquer looks really worn-out.  I'm not good enough to hear whether it has a good tone or not. I hope you guys can telling me how much does it worth.

Thank you!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by JanetRenee
    (1 post)

7 years ago

Re: Does this CG Conn worth the price?

The New Wonder Series I is not worth as much as a Series II - a year can make a difference in value with the antiques. You do not say what price he is asking? It's a good model and if tuned properly should be a good instrument.

there are several resources available - this site, Reverb.com, eBay, SamAshMusic.com

you can look for similar saxophones in the condition that this one is in to see if it is worth the prices. the fact that there is already new pads is good. don't worry about the lacquer. they all show wear.

Reply To Post

1. by Y.Suzuki
      (3 posts)

7 years ago

Thank you for the info! He was asking for 1000 euro, I checked some similar models on american ebay, their prices are all cheaper that it.

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
        (842 posts)

7 years ago

New Wonders are nice sounding horns but they are not easy to play.  The intonation is loose - not necessarily out of tune, but the pitch is more sensitive to player input than with other horns.  The advantage to learning on one is that you will be forcing yourself to develop good pitch control early on.  According to the highly respected repair technician Matt Stohrer, the Series II horns are much better made and worth the difference in cost.

Reply To Post

1. by Y.Suzuki
          (3 posts)

7 years ago

But how much do you think this one will worth?

Reply To Post