Saxophone Forum

by StratmanBaze
(61 posts)
19 years ago

searching for a mouthpiece

I'm looking for a mouthpiece that will give me that smokey-bar cool-jazz sound from the 1930s-1950s. should i save up for a florida link? any suggestions anybody?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by aholloway17
    (5 posts)

19 years ago

Re: searching for a mouthpiece

Almost a year I searched for the right mpc to get the sound I was looking for. If you really want to work on your sound get ready for what may be a long endeavor. If you sax is the one you want, thats a good start. Then...its READ and learn all you can about what makes a mpc work and when you have a good understanding get yourself to the store and start playing. I kept careful notes trying what Iearned from information and what it really sounds and or feels like to me. Once I found the mpc I really wanted it took at leat four months to understand all of its secret qualities. It can be a long process but well worth when you find it. Good luck with it.

Reply To Post

1. by StratmanBaze
      (61 posts)

19 years ago

thanks for your advice

Reply To Post

1. by Tully
        (49 posts)

19 years ago

For the sound you're after, I think you should start out by trying all the Link STM's you can find (try different openings and both standard and NY chambers, of course, plus keep in mind inconsisties in manufacturing).

Reply To Post AIM

1. by eman19
          (131 posts)

19 years ago

If you know any pros or your teacher talk with them. A friend of mine who plays professionally had 12 or so mouthpieces for tenor that he let me try out for my horn. It gave me an idea of what sound I was looking from a piece because he had a wide variety that he had built up over the years. He even let me keep the piece that worked with me and my horn, a vintage florida link (he is the most awesome guy in the world). I love the link and definitely would suggest trying them out.

Reply To Post

2. by Tully
          (49 posts)

19 years ago

Without a doubt, I think the most important thing is to try every mouthpiece you can. You should eventually find something that suits you, and if not, you will know what to look for.

Reply To Post AIM