Saxophone Forum

by don marco
(8 posts)
19 years ago

My next horn

I currently have an Yamaha AS-100. This was the first horn i've had and i think it's time for a new one. My sax teacher says i should get a Selmer series II, but i had a blow on it and while it sounded good and the intonation was great, it just didn't feel right under my fingers. I was thinking about checking out some P. Mauriats, i was wondering if it's similar to the selmer in the way that the keys are positioned (side keys, palm keys, low notes). If so, what would be a good horn for me to check out cheers, Don Marco

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxismyaxe
    (575 posts)

19 years ago

Re: My next horn

Don Marco, Since you have a developed enough feeling for your own personal sound/playing requirements by rejecting the Selmer II as unsuitable for YOU, I have confidence in you to play test the P. Mauriat, and any other make you are considering, and make a good, sound choice for yourself. Choosing the right horn for yourself a very personal thing, rather like selecting a pair of shoes that fit your feet JUST RIGHT. Only you can ultimately decide what is, and is not going to cut it at the end of the day.

Reply To Post

1. by bmcguire
      (45 posts)

19 years ago

I do agree however, the Super Action isn't a radical finger position and is one that you can adapt to pretty easily. The SA actually has a more natural feel to it, you are just used to a bad saxohpone. Also consider that the Super Action feel is within reason what most new pro horns feel like. But, try a Series III or a Yamaha Custom Z and see if they work better

Reply To Post

1. by don marco
        (8 posts)

19 years ago

Has anyone tried the P.Mauriat PMSA-67?

Reply To Post

1. by mrd
          (137 posts)

19 years ago

Series II

Don Marco: I have a SA80 II. I have not tried the Mauriat, as they are not marketing very well. Nobody has it except Tim at Saxalley. So, few are going to try it. I have tried many of the newer horns, and for the money, you can't beat the II. The feel must be, as is posted in this thread, just what you are used to, but buying one used reasonably is a much better choice than other ones. I have heard many stating that the B&S 2001 series is like a Mark VI, but I haven't tried that either, so I can't offer an opinion. As for Selmer, I still stand by their sound. I love my II. So, one more for you guy.. Best of luck with whatever decision you make.

Reply To Post