Saxophone Forum

by straightj
(18 posts)
19 years ago

Jazz Setup for Tenor

I need suggestions on a good setup for jazz music for Tenor Saxophone. This is mouthpiece, ligature, reeds, and even a good sax suggestion. Thanks for your input.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jamterry
      (573 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Jazz Setup for Tenor

i use an otto link 7 new york tonemaster and a selmer C star with van doren reeds.usually medium or medium hard. if you can pick your reeds, that word be great. nowadays stores are not too keen on people handling reeds. if you want, i can tell you how i pick my reeds. e-mail me at [email protected]. i recommend to use the stock ligature. my horn is a mark VI , and it plays really nice with either mouthpiece. i thought the 7 mouthpiece would be too brassy, but it puts some nice life into the low notes. the C star is so legit, that it works great on quiet stuff. most important is the condition of your horn!!! Best of luck to you :)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

2. by jamterry
      (573 posts)

19 years ago

i use an otto link 7 new york tonemaster and a selmer C star with van doren reeds.usually medium or medium hard. if you can pick your reeds, that word be great. nowadays stores are not too keen on people handling reeds. if you want, i can tell you how i pick my reeds. e-mail me at [email protected]. i recommend to use the stock ligature. my horn is a mark VI , and it plays really nice with either mouthpiece. i thought the 7 mouthpiece would be too brassy, but it puts some nice life into the low notes. the C star is so legit, that it works great on quiet stuff. most important is the condition of your horn!!! Best of luck to you :)

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

These are the set-ups that I use straightsax. Depending on your horn, these may or may not work for you. I use these set-ups with 4 different tenors. Mostly a 1948 Conn 10M, a 1958 King Super 20, 1949 Buescher 400 TH&C, and a 1929 Conn Chu Berry. For a nice full, gutsy jazz/rock tone I use a Rico Royal Graftonite mouthpiece with a Rovner Dark Ligature and Lavoz Med. Reeds. This piece works really well on all horns. It's more mellow on the Buescher, but deep and throaty on the Chu and 10M For a brighter jazz/funk tone, more projection and resonation, I use a vintage metal Otto Link Super Tone Master. The new Florida model is very similar to what I have. I use the stock ligature. It works pretty well, and either Lavoz, Vandoren ZZ, or Rico jazz select unfiled reeds. I prefer the unfiled. 2 1/2-3, or Lavoz Med. This is my favorite tenor piece. It really brings all the horns to life, and on the 10M especially, it'll knock your socks off! For even more edge; I use a Meyer 5* metal piece, with a Rovner Eddie Daniels ligature, and Vandoren ZZ or Rico Royal Jazz selects #2 1/2-3. This piece is a little too much for the King Super 20 as that horn plays really loud and bright anyway. On the Conn 10M it just screams mean and nasty! It's great for classic rock and hardcore jazz. For mellow stuff like Duke Ellington, Glenn Miller, some softer jazz, I use a vintage Brilhart Tonalin, that's from the late 40's. If you ever come across one of the earlier Brilhart pieces, they're very good, but the later ones after the Selmer buyout aren't worth a crap! Selmer made the chambers too small. I think the Otto Link Super Tone Master is one of the best metal pieces on the market right now for the price. You can pick them up at www.giardinelli.com; which is owned by Musician's Friend for around $120.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I've heard nothing but good things about the Jody Jazz mouthpieces also. I've yet to try one, but they have a new model that I am anxious to try out. They're quite expensive, but the quality is top of the line. I am very skeptical of spoiler pieces though, because the Conn horns in particular are fussy about the chamber size.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by StratmanBaze
        (61 posts)

19 years ago

connsaxman_jim- just out of curiosity- are those new otto links you're suggesting made in florida? are they as good as the originals from the 50s? also, is the new york version for tenor any good/better?

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Otto Link Mouthpieces are made in Elkhart, Indiana. The address is 2201 Industrial Parkway Elkhart IN 46516 if you would like to write the company for more information. The name of the actual company that makes them is J.J. Babbitt & Co. Jesse Babbitt was a former employee of CG. Conn. I think the new links are as good as the originals in terms of quality. I have a couple newer model links and they are very good. I think the New York model has a little more taper than the Florida and is more schrill, but I'm not for certain. I suspect more like the Meyer piece I have which I mentioned above. Here's the link to their website. www.jjbabbitt.com/ottolink.htm

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Actually, the webpage says the New York has a larger chamber. Looking at the mouthpiece, it is quite a bit larger. Consequently, Meyer mouthpieces are also made by JJ Babbitt company along with Wolfe Tayne and Guy Hawkins, and their own Babbitt mouthpieces.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by TANGO SIX ONE
          (255 posts)

19 years ago

The Knights Templar on Tenor have always used various links You come across alot of sax players when you visit New York searching the streets for the missing link.Of course jazz is a big field these days with ever changing approahes to sound.If you become a link man then you will constantly fine tune as the years go by .sometimes you will be meeting yourself coming back.This is interesting because we again find ourselves in the same boat as connsaxmanjim,and have not had chance to try these jody contraptions.Are they that good? The great mouthpiece maker Freddie Gregory is worth a go if you cant find what your after.But going to freddie means you need to be very specific with what you require.So if your not sure dont go their yet.(Bird Lives)

Reply To Post

2. by joe812119
        (18 posts)

19 years ago

ive been playing jazz tenor sax for 25 yrs. i use an otto link 7* with a rico #31/2 reed, and a student lig. is really all you need. dont bother spending money on a lig.

Reply To Post

3. by lejazzhotsax
        (15 posts)

19 years ago

I just scored a guardala super king and blow a la voz med. soft on it. It makes my S 80 Series II really sing. Wanna buy my Otto Link 7*? or my Lakey 4*3? or my Sugal super gonz? This guardala kicks a--!

Reply To Post

4. by tenormadness
        (6 posts)

19 years ago

I am currently playing a Yamaha YTS-62 with a newer metal Link 7, Hemke reeds strength 3, and a silver Selmer ligature. This setup works well for jazz [for me]-- not too bright, allows me to focus sound. Good luck!

Reply To Post

5. by ucasaxman
        (1 post)

19 years ago

I use a Mk VI, thinwall selmer silver neck, Gary Sugal KW II mouthpiece, ZZ 3 reeds. I find this to be great for mainstream jazz styles.

Reply To Post

1. by eman19
          (131 posts)

19 years ago

I Use a vintage florida link (Thanks to my most awesome jazz professor), a Buescher Trutone from '28 for tenor. I use zz 3 reeds on the tenor Enjoy

Reply To Post

1. by Tully
            (49 posts)

19 years ago

I play a YTS-23 (until I can afford something better; hoping to buy a Keilwerth or nicer Yamaha this summer, but I digress) and I use an old blue Vandoren Jumbo Java T97. I just got a Berg Larsen 105/1 M, and although I've yet to spend much time on it, I think I like the Berg more. At this point, most of my playing is as lead tenor in a big band, so I'm looking for a really big, bright sound. However, I'm also going to be playing in a combo in the near future, and I'm thinking I'm going to get a Jody Jazz HR 8*--I very nearly bought one, as I absolutely love their sound, but I found them a bit too dark for extensive big band playing.

Reply To Post AIM

2. by phathorn
            (165 posts)

19 years ago

currently it's a reg. laquered guardala with a STM 8* and Alexander DC #3 1/2s.....I also use either an Audix f90 clip on mic or Sennheiser E609 depending on the situation...

Reply To Post

3. by SaxMan88
            (318 posts)

19 years ago

Now that I have an actual setup of my own, here goes. I'm using a Selmer LaVoix with the stock S80 C* mouthpiece, a Rovner Dark Lig, and Vandoren 3's. This is the setup as of now for me, for a metal mouthpiece will come later and even on the S80 I might wanna try out some different reeds to see what works best. The current setup seems to be jazzy enough for me, yet I can always adapt to the classical settings I'm sometimes called upon for quite well. In other words, it's versatile. Have fun!

Reply To Post

4. by Tully
            (49 posts)

19 years ago

Why will a metal mouthpiece necessarily come later? Not to start a big debate, but being metal doesn't mean it's automatically good. That being said, not that you necessarily do, but if I thought an S-80 C* was a typical hard rubber mouthpiece, I wouldn't want a rubber one either!

Reply To Post AIM

5. by SaxMan88
            (318 posts)

19 years ago

Well ya see Tully, I have wanted a metal piece since my band director pulled out his Super Action 80 tenor one day with a Dukoff metal and started doing licks and oh my dear Lord...talk about awesome. But since I don't have chops yet, I need to wait...then I'll get a metal just to see. I might go back to a hard rubber, but who knows?

Reply To Post

6. by Tully
            (49 posts)

19 years ago

I see where you're coming from. Keep in mind, Dukoffs are still brighter than a lot of metal mouthpieces, but if that's the sound you want, that's cool. Does he play an SA80 Serie II or III? In my opinion, the brightness of a Dukoff is well-suited to the relative darkness of most modern Selmers.

Reply To Post AIM

7. by SaxMan88
            (318 posts)

19 years ago

Actually, he has a vintage Super Action 80...not a Series II. I always found that to be cool.

Reply To Post

8. by jamterry
            (573 posts)

19 years ago

get your metal mouthpiece!!!! your licks will come with practice. listen to cannon ball adderly , coltrane. and eric dolphy for a while. i used to jam with gene ammons and sonny stitt. they died before you were born. i can help you with reed selection if you want. best wishes :)

9. by SaxMan88
            (318 posts)

19 years ago

Terry, I appreciate for the advice in reed selection but I got that down pat *grins* What I think I really need to do is to go to a pro shop in Boston, and pick out mouthpieces. Instead of just blindly picking one. And if I need to do that, I'm gonna have to wait until I'm at least out of high school...I really wanna go to Boston to live there...I love that place. Anywho thanks for the help!

Reply To Post

10. by eman19
            (131 posts)

19 years ago

visit for a weekend during summer vacation man. Have some fun, visit a couple of colleges and spend a day at a music store trying some sh*t out. Its fun, its educating and whats most rewarding - you could find something that works for you. Mind you that this is just my observation on personal experience with both saxophone related equipment and guitars. Hope everything works out for you

Reply To Post

11. by BOFFER!
            (5 posts)

19 years ago

Down to earth i use a 1975 Selmer Mark 7 tenor saxophone, i really love the sound of the Selmer Mark 7 saxophone, it's very "varm". I use a Otto Link 6 star mouthpiece, maybe not the best jazzmouthpiece you can find, but it's a very good all-round mouthpiece, if i should choose a jaxx mouthpiece i would take a Berg Larsen. I don't have a special ligature, i use that i got with my Otto Link mouthpiece, and it's not the best, but i'll manage. i'm will soon buy a Francois Louis ligature. I use Vandoren Java and V16 reeds. When i play jazz i play with java and when i play classical i use a very soft V16

Reply To Post

12. by EL Seano
            (255 posts)

19 years ago

Dave Guardala Black Nickel 501 with Dave Guardala Crescent mouthpiece and La Voz 3.5 reeds

Reply To Post

13. by EL Seano
            (255 posts)

19 years ago

no fancy ligature

Reply To Post

14. by SaxMan88
            (318 posts)

19 years ago

Some sort of Rovner lig will make your setup sound even better!

Reply To Post

15. by EL Seano
            (255 posts)

19 years ago

is that like a leather lig or what?

Reply To Post

16. by SaxMan88
            (318 posts)

19 years ago

Yep. They call Rovner "fabric" ligs, so I'd say they're made out of some type of leather. You'd have to try them out. I have a Rovner Dark on my alto and with some ZZ reeds they're so bright I can make the sun seem dim. So don't always go by what people say about them. I'm gonna try a Rovner Eddie Daniels with the new Dukoff D7 I'm getting. I'm hoping that the metal plate on the E.D. will brighten my sound up a bit. Of course there are other options than Rovner. BG makes some good ligs too. Francois Louis makes the Ultimate Ligature, Vandoren Optimum, Olegature and several others that are of good quality. Check them out!

Reply To Post

17. by EL Seano
            (255 posts)

19 years ago

Those ligs sound nice not a fan of ZZ reeds though...

Reply To Post

18. by SaxMan88
            (318 posts)

19 years ago

Well, whatever floats your boat

Reply To Post