Saxophone Forum

by 1stAltosax
(2 posts)
19 years ago

Breaking in New Reeds

I use Vandoren 2.5 reeds and I seem to have trouble breaking them in. It's harder to play the lower notes and I sometimes squeek. After they get broken in, they are fine and I have no trouble playing at all. Is there any way to break in reeds faster?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by karebear1012
    (395 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Breaking in New Reeds

probably soak them longer and just play on them a lot i use vandoren 3s and i never have a problem breaking reeds though....

Reply To Post

2. by barisax999
    (400 posts)

19 years ago

what you may want to try is going up a 1/2 size for a while. maybe 2 reeds. when you go back, it will be much easier

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by O_o
      (9 posts)

19 years ago

I use Alexandar Superials and the instructions to break them in seem to work pretty good on most reeds I play. I think these are them: 1. Soak reeds in warm water for 5-8 minutes 2. Take reeds out and put in a flat (prefably glass) surface 3. Stroke the reed from the back to the tip 10-15 times I don't know how it all works to break it in, but it works pretty good for a quick break in. It all so suggests to only play for 10 minutes at a time 3 or 4 times before you start using them for a while to build up the reeds tolerance.

Reply To Post

1. by GzsKerqt
        (77 posts)

19 years ago

Stroke the reed? i was told not too.. cause brown stuff (bacteria) would accumulate and would affect the sound... im not sure? is it true?

Reply To Post

1. by Bleeding_Gums_Murphy
          (55 posts)

19 years ago

I use the Alexander method too, and it works great. I've never had brown stuff accumulate on my reeds. Whoever told you that was probably either lying or misinformed. The stroking of the reeds helps to kind of loosen up the reed fibers.

Reply To Post

2. by The_§ax
          (147 posts)

19 years ago

I follow the same kind of method from the Alexander's but I read it in a book. Make sure when you stroke the reed your fingers and hands are CLEAN. Otherwise when you stroke the reed all the dirt and oil from your finger will go into it and make it taste revolting!

Reply To Post

3. by SaxAppeal422
          (5 posts)

19 years ago

I was always told to just suck on them. And get a new one on a friday and practice over the weekend so when you get back to school the reed is better and no one has to hear your squaks.

Reply To Post