Saxophone Forum

by jacobeid
(24 posts)
19 years ago

jazz musician needs new mouthpieces

Hello. I'm a jazz alto and soprano player looking to buy better moutpieces. I really want one that will sound good with jazz stuff that I do. I'm looking in the price range of $100-$200 for each mouthpiece. Any suggestions?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jacobeid
    (24 posts)

19 years ago

Re: jazz musician needs new mouthpieces

Well, after my private teacher and band director led me in a few directions, I found the jodyjazz classic. I have found nothing bad about them and seem of very high quality. Does anybody use them?

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
      (575 posts)

19 years ago

I use the Jody Jazz HR 8* on my Tenors and can't rave enough about them. They play like a vintage Link, without the problem areas typical of Links, Modern ones in particular. Santy Runyon was a master mouthpiece designer/maker, and his protégée Jody is carrying on with outstanding pieces of his own.

Reply To Post

1. by jacobeid
        (24 posts)

19 years ago

I had looked at runyon mouthpieces but hadn't heard anything about them. They were cheaper, like $90. I'm pretty set on the jodyjazz though. Probably with a #7 facing. Maybe a runyon for my soprano?

Reply To Post

1. by jacobeid
          (24 posts)

19 years ago

hmm I'm new and don't know how to edit my post. Is there a way to? I'm thinking about a #8 facing. I'm going to ask my band director and private teacher what they recommend.

Reply To Post

2. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

19 years ago

No, unfortunately there isn't any way to edit your message once posted. I 've asked for this feature to be added for some time now. Both JJ and Runyon are fantastic pieces, some of the JJ designs are based on or made from Runyon blanks. Either way, with the right model and facing you will be very pleased. I'm sure your teacher can help you find the model best suited to your needs. Cheers.

Reply To Post

3. by jacobeid
          (24 posts)

19 years ago

Just got my jody jazz mouthpiece. It's AMAZING. I need to get used to it a bit more, but I love the sound.

Reply To Post