Saxophone Forum

by selmer 4evr
(309 posts)
19 years ago

sterling horns

Has anyone tried one of these I was told Selmer had one in LA at the last show or congress there I am interested in getting an Alto . how different is it to the silver plated model. I know all about the discussion concerning the reed and mouthpiece being more influential to sound . I use a C* and Vandoren Blue Box or pref. Omegas if I can get them.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxybandgeek_88
    (10 posts)

19 years ago

Re: sterling horns

I haven't personally tried one but I think they have a brighter tone than the regular gold plated ones. They are pretty but I prefer the darker tone. Also I can have a brighter tone depending on my reed. I'll use a 2 1/2 if i want a deeper darker tone. If I want a brighter and somewhat abrasive tone I'll usually use my 4. Vandoren is by far the best in my opinion. I have some real nice 3 jazz reeds for my tenor. And c* is the best if your on alto, tenor, or bari but I would recomend a D* for soprano.

Reply To Post

1. by phathorn
      (165 posts)

19 years ago

The best mouthpiece and reed combos vary from person to person. I found that I'm better off not playing selmer mouthpieces, and instead have the best luck with a hard rubber yamaha (alto) and vandoren pieces on tenor and bari. The Yamaha pieces are really nice on soprano too.

Reply To Post

1. by definition
        (963 posts)

19 years ago

for the price of a sterling horn, te damned thing better give me the range of lenny pickett!! its to much to pay for any horn, regardless of what its made of. But if it floats your boat, enjoy!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Bibimbop
          (53 posts)

19 years ago

If you're looking at a silver horn, try the Yamaha Custom EX and Z. I know a few people that play them (Dave Stambler (his alto) of PSU and Joe Lulloff (his soprano)) and I think they sound good on them. The Silver actually a plating...but Selmer does make a solid silver horn. Big price difference between solid silver and silver plated. Solid costs over 5,000.

Reply To Post

2. by PsuSax
          (25 posts)

19 years ago

Who are you Bibimbop? I study with David Stambler at PSU and can attest to how great the Custom EX sounds. Prof. Stambler got hooked on the silver EXs while we were trying out saxes at washington music center outside of D.C. We spent 4 or 5 hours testing out just about every horn they had (Selmers, Yamahas, Keilwerths, etc.) and eventually narrowed it down to the final 3 of a regular laquered EX, a black laquered EX, and my silver EX. They simply outplayed everything else we tried in it's accurate intontation, control, subtone, altissimo, eveness of sound, and feel. Less than a month after this trip to D.C to get my EX, he went down and got his own. I also tried out one of the aformentioned Silver Selmer Series III's and was not impressed. For that much money I expected alot more quality workmanship, better intonation (it was very uneven), and a better overall sound.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by selmer 4evr
          (309 posts)

19 years ago

I have tried the Yams and I find them too bright I need a sound that is more mysterious and more hollow ,,a sound that has very little focus I play mailnly in church with organ accomp, !!!!!

Reply To Post