Saxophone Forum

by gwynnen
(5 posts)
19 years ago

New "Used" Martin

I picked up a used (vintage) Martin Sax for a beginner and would like some information. The etching says "The Martin" Indiana, Elkhart - Ind In the Serial number area - RMC 85xxx None of the rods or pins appear to be bent and all of the keys appear to cover their holes properly. There are only a few minor dents and it looks like the bottom neckstrap ring is missing (this is the only thing that I can figure goes here) My one concern is that there appears to be some rusting in some areas and a bit inside the bell. Is this going to cause major problems? What can you tell me about this sax in general and is it worth having reconditioned (no relacquering or heavy polishing)

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by gwynnen
    (5 posts)

19 years ago

Re: New "Used" Martin - More information

The serial # on this is 85993 and it is a matching number on the neck.

Reply To Post

1. by blackfrancis
      (396 posts)

19 years ago

Martins are great horns-I've played an alto, a soprano and a bari, and in each case (no pun intended) found a horn with good intonation, good action, and stellar tone. I wouldn't hesitate a minute to restore one. As to the corrosion, not having seen it for myself, I'd advise you to find a really good tech to have a look. More info can be found at saxpics.com, an excellent source. If you want to hear one played, listen to an Art Pepper recording. (P.S. not all my posts have been answered either, but I still think this is a good place for info exchange. Hope this helps.)

Reply To Post

1. by eman19
        (131 posts)

19 years ago

I'd hazard a guess that this is from 1961, after Martin was bought out by RMC. However, if you could tell me if the low B and Bb are on the same side of the horn or not, that would help me make sure.

Reply To Post

2. by gwynnen
        (5 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks for the info. I played a French horn once a long long time ago and about all I know about saxes is that I really like the sound. I did a little research before buying this one and found the same information about Martin's. I got this one on Ebay for $102. I took it in to a local music store that I trust and their sax repair guy says not to worry about the corrosion, it isn't too bad. The rods are all straight, no bent pins and it just needs a bit of cleaning, new pads and neck cork. My father plays and got my hubby to try it when we were visiting and considering that he made "pretty" sounds on a premium reed, I decided that I had better get him his own. I may be coming back for more information or just to read about other stuff. Looks like lots of knowledge here.

Reply To Post