Saxophone Forum

by spifster
(67 posts)
19 years ago

Urgent Mouthpiece Question

I am a serious high school student and am looking for a high-level jazz mouthpiece to use at the all-state music camp. I am deciding between a Runyon Custom, Runyon Bionix, JodyJazz ESP, JodyJazz classic, Lakey rubber or metal, Vandoren Jumbo Java, and Berg rubber. I am just wondering if you guys have any opinions, bad experiences, etc. about any of these pieces or suggestions about other mpcs that work on a yamaha 62-II. I currently have an otto link tone edge, bet it doesn't produce the power or edge I'm looking for.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jamterry
    (573 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Urgent Mouthpiece Question

I recently got a Meyer Richie Cole. and it has a nice sound to it.You can get plenty of power out it, and a nice tone.Best of luck ar camp :)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

2. by Renegade Saxman
    (7 posts)

19 years ago

The tone edges are good pieces so I dont know wheter you got a dud mouthpiece or maybe your embroucher isn't correct. Maybe you got a lemon of a horn. When you tried out mouthpieces and horns you tried out several of the same horn and several of the same mouthpeice right. Well, also you said you are very serious so you might want to look into the Jody Jazz DV's they are new and awsome. If none of this works then you should look at inverted shackled compression chambers for your peices they make anything sound great. Coltrane had one. Ha

Reply To Post

3. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

You're probably going to want to go with a metal piece. I would try a metal Otto Link. The New Yorks sound pretty good on the Yamahas. Jody really makes some NICE mouthpieces also. They're a little pricey, but WOW! I really like Jody's new DV piece.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

4. by knorter
    (205 posts)

19 years ago

Do you play tenor or alto? I was assuming tenor from your post but just making sure. If you're an alto player I would stay away from metal mouthpieces in most situations. But for tenor any of those mouthpieces would work. I play a JodyJazz ESP and it works really well. It has a removable wedge which is helpful. For rock gigs I leave it in for more of an edgier sound but for more staight ahead gigs I take it out. I would also like to talk about some other issues for a minute. Mouthpieces can help make a good player sound better but if you haven't learned the basics in breathing, embouchere, posture, sound production, or if you haven't done your homework of transcribing players to develop a jazz sound then all the mouthpieces in the world won't help. I don't know your playing so you'll have to make that call yourself. Power and edge come first from your air stream, air focus and the positioning of your tongue. Think about Charlie Parker: he had a serious drug problem and would often show up to a recording session without his horn because he had pawned it for more drugs. There are many stories of producers and other musicians running to get him a horn, any horn, in time for the session. Yet, Bird always sounded the same regardless of horn or mouthpiece. The sound is in you first, a good mouthpiece can just enhance what you already possess. Good luck.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by spifster
      (67 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks for the pointers. I actually play alto, by the way. I've also decided not to switch mouthpieces yet, because of how soon the camp is, and because I recently changed ligs and got a slightly softer reed and it helped with the power issue. I must say that I've never played a darker mouthpiece than my Link though.

Reply To Post

1. by Tully
        (49 posts)

19 years ago

Just a couple days ago, I palyed my Vandoren T97 Jumbo Java on a YTS-62II, and I really liked the sound. Plenty of power and brightness for big band playing, but I think it's the large tip opening and long facing that give me a mellower sound when desired. I haven't played too many different Bergs, but I'm trying to sell my 105/1 M because I find the sound thin and constricted in comparison to my Jumbo Java. Perhaps a larger tip would solve that; I don't know.

Reply To Post AIM

2. by Island991
      (22 posts)

19 years ago

Jim is right about Jody Jazz ESP. WOW! tried one on alto, just had to have it there and then. I know everyone is saying how good they are and i usually like not to follow a crowd, but you cant ignore stunning workmanship and quality. Ive tried many mpc over the years on alto/tenor and ive never played anything like it before.............and may never again as i dont wanna put it down!!! just gotta save up before i try tenor one as im afraid if i try one ill be hooked on that as well!!!!

Reply To Post

1. by spifster
        (67 posts)

19 years ago

As long as we're on the subject of JodyJazz, has anyone tried the new DV tenor piece? Steep price tag, but mainly what I've heard is that it's the best tenor piece ever. I'm a little skeptical of that, but it also makes me very curious...

Reply To Post

3. by BOFFER!
      (5 posts)

19 years ago

I play with a Otto Link metal mouthpiece, try it. it's really good, and all-round

Reply To Post

4. by mrd
      (137 posts)

19 years ago

Suggestion

After reading your post, I might suggest the following knowing that you are playing an alto: If you want a good bright sound with depth, I might suggest a rubber piece, Vandoren Java A45/55. If you listen to Warren Hill, that is his setup. It is a good one, and not expensive.

Reply To Post

1. by barimachine
        (323 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Suggestion

although i play a JJ ESP *for bari* alot of players nowadays are moving away from metal pieces, I am in highschool, but i dont really recomend metal pieces that much to younger players, yea... i know, thats why im probably changing, but the embochure isnt as developed it just isnt it really doesnt matter who you are it isn't. Alot of players are moving away from new metal or nu-metal *it is a pun haha* the reason being that they are not as thick a metal its got additives so its vibrating through and through and its actually hurting some players teeth and jaws. Keep in mind some do it better than others, some links and JJ do it particularly well IMO, but i would still say that if your set on metal try and find a good vintage link

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

19 years ago

Is this a purely jazz camp? If not, you certainly may want to keep a concert piece on hand.

Reply To Post

1. by spifster
            (67 posts)

19 years ago

It is, actually. Or was, I should say. I just got back. I've been trying out a lot of things since I started this post, and none sound as good as what I have now. So I'll probably just stick to what I've got, that being a link tone edge 6* with an oleg and java 2.5s. Thanks for the help tho, everyone.

Reply To Post

2. by spifster
            (67 posts)

19 years ago

It was kind of funny there, this kid had a mark vi with a brilhart levelaire, and i totally blew him away. it was funny. sorry, just felt like sharing.

Reply To Post

3. by SilverAlto875
            (1 post)

19 years ago

First: Don't blame the kid with the Mark VI for not playing at a higher level. It's probably not his fault he has a Selmer and not a Yamaha like us. **just have fun with the too-serious Selmer guys** Second: Most importantly, don't get too cocky. Always be professional. The quality of the instrument and set-up rarely identifies a musician's level of performance or ability. In time, you'll learn that there are younger players with less quality horns that have the talent to knock you into beginning band status. I know. It happened to me. I had just graduated from high school where I was the best in my school, county, and region. I received a full scholarship to college as a music major. The first year I was first chair for all my performance classes. The next year a kid fresh out of high school came to the college of music. He arrived early for symphonic wind ensemble and had his sax put together and was warming up before I even had my case open. He was not trying to get any attention, just minding his business about 10 minutes before class, in a corner, but he got the attention of many of us in the room. His warm up routine was insane. Long tones turned into scales, arpeggios, and memorized licks and passages from well know jazz and classical pieces and more. To make matters worse, he was one of the nicest guys you would ever want to meet -- humble, very talented, kind, and a business major! He had private professional lessons since he was 8 years old. He had also won various performance levels through state level and beyond. He also had a full scholarship. He also got first chair -- and deserved it. I learned some really cool technical things from Dave Eckman. There wasn't any genre he couldn't play and play with the intent the writed had in mind. He could sight read better than anyone I've ever met. All this from a business major. I had been cocky for a few years and now was basically "average." I'm glad you had a good time, but don't forget this: Just like the fastest gun in the wild west, in music there will always be someone better even when you're at your best. Now go to the woodshed and practice so you can maintain and continue to improve your skills. Best of luck.

Reply To Post