Saxophone Forum

by TANGO SIX ONE
(255 posts)
19 years ago

Sound production and Horn set up. Knights Templar

The Knights templar state.This is probably the most important area of all jazz saxophone.Recently the Knights were hanging with one of the greatest living Saxophone players, Its not fair to him to mention him, however we had a very long discussion on this very subject, and for all of us its a life long search to continue development in this as well as other areas. There is no substitute for experience in anything in life and there is no getting away from it, in this vital area. Age plays its part no matter what.The most interesting part is that him like most other people humble themselves to improve and push and look for more things.In jazz saxophone there are many different sounds but for openers we split into 2 main fields thst eventually cross over ie The link and mayer people, and all mouthpieces down that type of line to The Dukopf Gardela, and all ones down that line.So state set up and what you aim for in sound this is the question ( Bird lives)

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by EL Seano
    (255 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Sound production and Horn set up. Knights Templar

Yay Knights rule

Reply To Post

1. by TANGO SIX ONE
      (255 posts)

19 years ago

To EL seano Maximum respect from the knights templar. (Bird lives)

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I've got to give a big high 5 to Tango and the Knights for this comment also. I couldn't agree more!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by TANGO SIX ONE
          (255 posts)

19 years ago

The Knights Templar have gone a few rounds with Conn sax man jim, But underneath, we know he is a man of truth and strong opinion like us. From Robert Johnson to Bird we come obstensibly from the same planet in our message . Maximum respect from the knights Templar and Their counterparts the teutonic Knights.(Bird Lives)

Reply To Post

2. by jamterry
        (573 posts)

19 years ago

i want something i can bite the hell out of without closing the air passage. i want the hardest vandoren dark reed i can stand on my new york tonemaster 7 (otto link). i blow through that and my mark VI's. the VI will pipe that tubular sound, and i can make it sound angry, or whimper like a child. every horn sounds ok through the mid range, but my VI's will showcase on the low anf high ends. i can't help but think of a pipe sound. i hope i can get a soprano soon. i think i was very influenced by coltrane. i did jam with sonny stitt and gene ammons in chicago. i only know two horns, those being the conn 14m, 16m , and mark VI's. i think what you lay down in a jam far outweighs the brand of your horn and mouthpiece!!!!!!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I agree with you Terry. The Conn 14M and 16M are decent horns, but not the example of Conn greatness that the 6M and 10M are. My first alto was a 1963 Conn 14M, and it really did play well and had a pretty good sound too, but my 6M just blows it away!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by jamterry
            (573 posts)

19 years ago

Hey Jim, were the Conns that I had "Shooting Stars"? I seem to remember that the engraving on the bell had stars. I hear people say "Shooting Stars" and I thought I would ask you about it. I think that Tone Edge should sound pretty sweet on my M VI. I have to pray for strength, so that I don't come home with a soprano.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by connsaxman_jim
              (2336 posts)

19 years ago

The 14M's and 16M's had the shooting star design on the bell.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by blackfrancis
              (396 posts)

19 years ago

As true as true could be , Tango. It is a lifelong kind of thing and there's no substitute for experience. And one's tastes and outlook change over the years. Still, an important point is made by Jamterry, it's also what you lay down and how you do it. You can tell when somebody's digging deep and that's part of where it's at, whether a mk. VI or a bundy, a link or a Graftonite. I've been tending towards the "hard rubber" sound lately, but last night I did a gig on my old Berg and it felt really good...

Reply To Post

3. by TANGO SIX ONE
              (255 posts)

19 years ago

Response to black francis,we totally agree, its not what you say but how you say it. excellent point. The knights use to use the following, to demonstrate to students . Emphasis on a different word each time i think youl like this one if you havent heard it. " i didn't say he stole the money" seven different meanings , lots more various expressions.Like the bit about digging deep the knights respect this.The knights templar state always do a gig like its the last gig your ever going to do, no quarter(Bird lives).

Reply To Post

4. by SaxMan88
              (318 posts)

19 years ago

I think I need to find a mouthpiece... I'm using a Selmer S-80 C* with my new Selmer LaVoix. Sure, I'm using a Rovner Dark Ligature and Vandoren Traditional 3's, but I feel I just have a general sound. Blah. If ya can get where I'm going with that. I want something brighter, more livelier for a jazz setting. I think I can keep the S-80 for my Wind Ensemble, but for Jazz Band I want something better. Any recommendations? At this point I want a hard rubber for I don't think I have enough chops to handle a metal. But I shall see...thanx in advance.

Reply To Post

5. by connsaxman_jim
              (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I'd try the Otto Link Tone Edge Joel. I think you'll like it. I\d get a #5 or #6 facing. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

6. by SaxMan88
              (318 posts)

19 years ago

Does that particular facing provide a jazz sound? Keep in mind I don't want a general chambering...I already got that with the S-80. I'll look into it. Thanx Jim!

Reply To Post

7. by kneejerk52
              (397 posts)

19 years ago

you might check out a book called, The Saxoophone is my voice, by Ernest Ferron, he illustrates and explains mpcs. and how they affect the sound.

Reply To Post

8. by SaxMan88
              (318 posts)

19 years ago

Alrighty, thanx kneejerk

Reply To Post

9. by EL Seano
              (255 posts)

19 years ago

To the Knights, Maximum respect from El Seano and the Australian Armada

Reply To Post

10. by eman19
              (131 posts)

19 years ago

out of curiosity, whats up with giving props to the nights in every other response?

Reply To Post

11. by EL Seano
              (255 posts)

19 years ago

dunno

Reply To Post

12. by EL Seano
              (255 posts)

19 years ago

Probably cuz a few of my ancestors were knights templar