Saxophone Forum

by reyjr
(7 posts)
19 years ago

*REPOST* New Jazz Mouthpiec

I tried to get an answer in yhe jazz discussion area but no answer so here I go again. I just got a brand new jazz metal moutpiece, and i just can't figure out how to play it. It's an Otto Link mouthpiece and i put a V16 reed on it and all I here coming out is air. Can someonebody please help me. Thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by blackfrancis
    (396 posts)

19 years ago

Re: *REPOST* New Jazz Mouthpiec

Need more info- what facing on the mouthpiece, what strength reed, sop., alto, ten., or bari?

Reply To Post

1. by reyjr
      (7 posts)

19 years ago

I'm new to this so I'm just going to say whats on the box. Otto Link/Bell Metal/Alto/#8

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by reyjr
        (7 posts)

19 years ago

sorry forgot, I'm using a V16 size 3 reed on it and I used to use it on a hard rubber meyer before I got the Otto Link

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by eman19
          (131 posts)

19 years ago

do you know the tip opening on the meyer? The opening on that piece is fairly large. I'd try a lighter reed or a piece that was a bit more closed, like a 5* or a 6. You might just not have the strength to muscle that mouthpiece into playing your reed. I know that when I play a 8* it feels like the sound is very muted to me, not the full force that can come with a smaller tip opening.

Reply To Post

2. by blackfrancis
          (396 posts)

19 years ago

8* is a pretty large tip opening- try a much softer reed. Maybe a 2 or even a 1 1/2. Easier on you to suit the reed to the tip opening. I usually play a 90 opening (yours is larger than that) and use a Jazz Select 2. Give it a whirl.

Reply To Post