Saxophone Forum

by Mactenor
(102 posts)
19 years ago

1951 BUESCHER TENOR 400 TOP HAT AND CANE

I AM TOLD THAT THESE HORNS ARE AMONG THE BEST EVER MADE. PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR THOUGHTS ON THIS "LEGENDARY TENOR"

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: 1951 BUESCHER TENOR 400 TOP HAT AND CANE

I recently traded a Selmer Series III Soprano for a 1949 Buescher 400 Top Hat & Cane model in mint condition, and I have been playing this Buescher quite a bit. My main horn is a 1948 Conn 10M. The Buescher has a great sound. The intonation and tuning doesn't seem quite as tempermental as the 10M. It has a dark, very bold, full sound like the 10M, but seems to be a little warmer and more mellow, particularly in the upper octaves. The action and keywork is very similar to the 10M, and is very good. I like the neck and octave key design on the Buescher, which is also very similar to the King Super 20.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Mactenor
      (102 posts)

19 years ago

CONNSAXMAN JIM THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT. I TOO HAVE A 10M A 1935 NAKED LADY... AGREAT HORN. I LIKE IT BETTER THAN MY MARK Vl. PLEASE ...ALL YOU BUESCHER GUYS AND GALS....GIVE ME YOUR THOUGHTS ABOUT THIS GREAT SAX.

Reply To Post

1. by definition
        (963 posts)

19 years ago

The horn is amazing! I played a freind's a few times in High school, never owned one though, always loved it. If you can get one, GRAB IT!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by TANGO SIX ONE
          (255 posts)

19 years ago

The knights templar will give you our view on these horns.The knights are jazz players,the only other role we ever consider is out and out blues.so in both these capacities this horn is very capable of doing an excellent jobWe have played a couple , one with that silver ring round the bell.In essense they border in sound to us between elements of super 20 and original Buescher.They have power thats for sure and the sound we describe is possible with fairly average set ups.How ever it all depends what your after.Our own Opinion regarding Buescher horns and if this is where you want to go, The true tone with vintage ebinite selmer d or e can mirror Desmond. Aristtocrat,with vintage link, mirror bird The 400 with meyer Ny, mirror Cannonball.With those set ups you can make these horns work well.Its not our prefered horn but Buescher made good horns(Bird Lives)

Reply To Post

2. by TANGO SIX ONE
          (255 posts)

19 years ago

The knights templar will give you our view on these horns.The knights are jazz players,the only other role we ever consider is out and out blues.so in both these capacities this horn is very capable of doing an excellent jobWe have played a couple , one with that silver ring round the bell.In essense they border in sound to us between elements of super 20 and original Buescher.They have power thats for sure and the sound we describe is possible with fairly average set ups.How ever it all depends what your after.Our own Opinion regarding Buescher horns and if this is where you want to go, The true tone with vintage ebinite selmer d or e can mirror Desmond. Aristtocrat,with vintage link, mirror bird The 400 with meyer Ny, mirror Cannonball.With those set ups you can make these horns work well.Its not our prefered horn but Buescher made good horns(Bird Lives)

Reply To Post

3. by Mactenor
          (102 posts)

19 years ago

TANGO SIX ONE THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT, IT IS APPRECIATED. WHAT IS YOUR PREFERED HORN?

Reply To Post