Saxophone Forum

by toepferMVI
(2 posts)
19 years ago

Pete Christlieb's setup

I was looking at the section of theo wanne's web site (www.mouthpieceheaven.com) that lists most of the top players from the last 50-60 years and their setups... and it says Pete Christlieb plays on Rico Plasticover reeds??? you have got to be kidding me! he must be sponsored by them and is contracted by law to say that he uses their reeds, because I refuse to believe anyone of that caliber would even consider using those reeds!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by peter090
    (155 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Pete Christlieb's setup

I saw him about 2 years ago and had a chance to talk gear as he was playing Cannonball that was provided for the concert by a local music store. He absolutely plays plasticover although I don't remeber the strength and a Berg Larsen 130/0. He was I think completely honest about his endorsements. He said that he thought the cannonball was a fine horn for the money but when not sponsered plays his Selmer SBA. The plasicovers are his reed of choice for durability.

Reply To Post

1. by toepferMVI
      (2 posts)

19 years ago

i just can't believe that. dave pietro came and did a master class at my university my freshman year in college while i was using a legere plastic reed & said if i were his student he would take it off my mouthpiece and cut it in half! i only ended up using the legere for about 6 months total, and realized the err of my ways in using a plastic reed. i just assumed most professional saxophone players didn't like plastic reeds. I guess pete using plasticover reeds is okay since they're not totally plastic...but i guess someone as good as him can use whatever they want!

Reply To Post

2. by musicderm
    (1 post)

10 years ago

I can attest to the validity of his use of these reeds. He was using one when he performed with the the Scott Whitfield Jazz Orchestra West a couple of years ago when they tried out Scott's arrangment of my jazz tune, "Tristesse in G Minor."  Joe Scherzer

Reply To Post