Saxophone Forum

by spifster
(67 posts)
19 years ago

Jazz Combo

Alright so I am an alto player and we're starting a jazz combo at our school, and I'm basically in charge of running it. The only problem is, our school doesn't have much in the way of music for something like this, and I have absolutely no idea of how to run a band. I was wondering if anyone has any good charts, ideas, or just general statements kind of relating to this. Thanks.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by barisax999
    (400 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Jazz Combo

i play in a combo myself and heres the key. get a couple real books. these have standard jazz heads. all you do is have the whole combo play the head once. then have everybody solo over 3 or 4 choruses. its not designed for concerts. we do it for parties and banquets and such. more of background music. it brings in some great bread if you do it right.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by spifster
      (67 posts)

19 years ago

That's basically what we're doing right now, but there's a competition in mid-november thats just for area combos, so I was wondering if anyone knew of any actual sheet music for it. Right now we're looking at Blue Train, Red House, Blue Skies, Comin' home baby, Harlem Nocturne, and whatever we can find around the school music library.

Reply To Post

1. by barisax999
        (400 posts)

19 years ago

those are some cool charts. that was my bad on the last set of advice. another great one that we played that was in sheet music was called cheesecake, i dont know who wrote it, but its sweet.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by spifster
          (67 posts)

19 years ago

ill check it out. great pun, by the way.

Reply To Post

2. by barisax999
          (400 posts)

19 years ago

the funny part is i didnt even see the pun until you pointed it out

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by Er087
        (7 posts)

19 years ago

i think cheesecake is by dexter gordon

Reply To Post AIM

2. by Paduano
      (16 posts)

19 years ago

A great thing to do is purchase a fakebook and start out with jazz standards. Pick out some tunes in there, improve to them and your set. Instead of buying a few pieces, buy a book of them for under $30.

Reply To Post