Saxophone Forum

by raiderbirk
(1 post)
19 years ago

need info on my sax

i would like to get as much info on my sax as possible it is a conn alto serial number n43097 i have had it for years. it has stars up high with conn in the middle and looks like a bow on the bottom this is located on the side. thanks to anyone that can help me

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Vesper
    (9 posts)

19 years ago

Re: need info on my sax

Hi there, thought I would jump in. On it Clarinet front, I have a Yamaha 62II that at the time destroyed any of the Buffet R13's that I played. Neither here nor there I suppose, it works well for me. Anyway, looking for Jims Opinion here, or anyone elses for that matter regaurding a 10M I just bought on ebay. Would have made more sense to ask before I bought it, but none the less; pretty standard looking 10M decent shape, no rolled tone holes, what do you think of it, good buy? cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7342462374&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

The N prefix indicates 1970. The bow and stars engraving indicates that it is a Director's model, 14M.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by 7o94me
      (5 posts)

19 years ago

What I had forgotten previously when I was posting info with regards to my sax, that it is a SuperDynaction. But I do have a question with some of your info connsaxman_jim, does that "N" prefix and/or the bow and stripes engravings Diectors model stil pertain to this model of sax that I have? My sax has some really elaborate wavy engravings throughout the bell and up and near the thumb rest. Aside from the "Buffet Crampon Paris" logo, it has the words "SuperDynaction" engraved between the thumb rest and neck strap eyelet.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

No, 7o94me, the information I posted pertained to a Conn alto only. Your saxophone is a Buffet. I think I have a list of Buffet serial numbers in a book I have, and I can probably find some information for you, but I really couldn't tell you much about Buffet saxophones except that I have played a few of them and they are very nice horns. The Super Dynaction reminds me of a Selmer Super Balanced Action. In fact, I think Selmer probably stole the design from Buffet. Buffet saxophones never got the recognition they deserved, but their clarinets are undisputedly the best around

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Candyboy
          (77 posts)

19 years ago

I have an old tenor sax that I would like some info on. This horn is definately Conn inspired. It has rolled tone holes,the left pinky spatula is exactly like my old 10M so are all the sidekeys. The overall look of the horn is very much like a DJH modified Conn But with no High F# . The engraving says "Concord '59 artist" .This is the weird part..... on the back it says "Made in Holland" whats up with that? Jim?
          Doug Coffman

Reply To Post AIM

2. by Bruce
          (1 post)

19 years ago

I also have an older tenor that says "Made in Holland". The engraving on mine says "Ardsley". Nobody I've talked to seems to know of any saxophones made in Holland...the plot thickens!

Reply To Post

3. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I've heard of the Concords before, but not the Ardsley. I've never seen a Concord either. I looked online to try to dig up some info, and I talked to a couple techs I know. I wasn't able to find anything online. The general assumption is that it is a Dutch copy of an eary Conn, and from all accounts, they're a pretty darn good horn. The same is probably true of Ardsley. Sorry guys, I wish I had more information.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by 7o94me
        (5 posts)

19 years ago

I agree about the clarinets. They have the most astounding intonations around. My younger sister had a Buffet clarinetl, we used to play together many years ago. When she wasn't around I'd play it and man was it awesome! I don't know what she ever did with it, I'll have to ask her. I don't think she plays much these days. Thanks for the info bro, later.

Reply To Post

3. by tee196
        (31 posts)

19 years ago

alright i have a model im looking into its a Stars and bow model Tenor Sax, its number is N92101 and its made in Mexico, im looking into buying this would it be a good buy??? here is the link to take a closer look. cgi.ebay.com/CONN-TENOR-SAXOPHONE-LIKE-NEW-STARS-AND-BOW-NR_W0QQitemZ7344472412QQcategoryZ16234QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Reply To Post