Saxophone Forum

by CajunSax
(76 posts)
19 years ago

Spoilers in mouthpieces

OK, I know for certain situations I have better luck in terms of sound with the spoiler in and vice versa, but what is it that these things are supposed to do? I go out of my way to make sure the opening and baffle and all that is in check only to slip in this spoiler that looks like it closes off the chamber. I'm not very technical with mpc's and have gone with trial and error basicaly, but I just wanted to see if anyone can get me some info on these. btw - the mpc's that have spoilers that I have are Runyon's and Jody Jazz metal mpc's...in case u need to know that. merci

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Spoilers in mouthpieces

Inserting the spoiler adds a higher baffle to the piece which makes the sound brighter or more edgy.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

spoilers can cause a lot of problems with intonation too, depending on the horn. My Conn 10M doesn't really like spoilers too much!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by definition
        (963 posts)

19 years ago

Sax Maniac is correct on the black plastic part, but the metal strip sticking from that serves a slightly different purpose. It vibrates more like a second reed, and basically is supposed to make it easier to use more air going into the horn for a larger sound, but not necesarily louder. It should also bring out more harmonics and overtones on the notes you play. Hope this helps

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

19 years ago

funny, my old link is basically a straight tube going from the reed to the end... no need for spoilers or anything to get a big sound and it's effortless to play. but Jim is right, older horns NEED pieces like that.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM