Saxophone Forum

by TANGO SIX ONE
(255 posts)
19 years ago

Does replating improve the Sound?The Knights Templar

The Knight Templar already have our conclusions on this one but we would like to here others experiences. If done how does it change the sound if any? Bird lives)

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Does replating improve the Sound?The Knights Templar

In my expirience, the only person that notices a diference in sound between finishes is the player, no one else

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by TANGO SIX ONE
      (255 posts)

19 years ago

Response to definition:The Knights Templarstate :Are the psychological approach, yes we can see that, good one (Bird Lives)

Reply To Post

1. by blackfrancis
        (396 posts)

19 years ago

I agree with Definition (usually do)- there are so many other variables to your sound that affect it so much more, e.g. mouthpiece, ligature, reed, horn brand and setup, breathing, embouchure, etc. Sorta makes the finish small potatoes. I prefer worn lacquer or old silver plate, but just for the looks and the decreased upkeep.

Reply To Post

1. by TANGO SIX ONE
          (255 posts)

19 years ago

Response to blackfrancis: yes the knights templar are in total agreement worn lacuer, or none providing it came off all by its self, or yes silver plate. The knights believe that in most cases when a horn gets relacuered or replated ,when they get their horn back the psychological kicks in,( Money spent, looks) and they may believe its better when it isnt.The knights Templars conclusions are that in most cases ,yes the horn will be better, but its most likely that when it was re assembled , padded or whatever, the horn was fully sealed etc.So this phenomenon we believe is down to the overhaul. (Bird Lives)

Reply To Post

2. by The_§ax
          (147 posts)

19 years ago

I don't understand why people would ever get a sax re-laquered! Most people beleive that the sound does change. The look of an old vintage sax is so much better than a shiny new one. Old worn laquer gives the instrument class and a story, so does old worn silver plate. New shiny saxes look bare and boring, they dont make you think, "how old is that sax and where has it been?" Just "What shop was that bought at?" The Engraving of a re-laquered sax is rather wasted aswell, it really needs re-engraving, All out- Re-laquering is not the go, unless the sax actually, desperately, needs it!

Reply To Post

3. by The_§ax
          (147 posts)

19 years ago

I don't understand why people would ever get a sax re-laquered! Most people beleive that the sound does change. The look of an old vintage sax is so much better than a shiny new one. Old worn laquer gives the instrument class and a story, so does old worn silver plate. New shiny saxes look bare and boring, they dont make you think, "how old is that sax and where has it been?" Just "What shop was that bought at?" The Engraving of a re-laquered sax is rather wasted aswell, it really needs re-engraving, All out- Re-laquering is not the go, unless the sax actually, desperately, needs it!

Reply To Post

4. by The_§ax
          (147 posts)

19 years ago

Reply To Post

5. by TANGO SIX ONE
          (255 posts)

19 years ago

Response to The__Sax Yes The knightsTemplar are not totally convinced there is an improvment to sound from relacquered or replate, from the looks department , again yes we prefer natural weathering. Response to consaxmanjim.Yes it was a thought on one of our Conns but even on the best alloy ever a buffing wheel we think will have to be employed at some stage,then the replate or lacquer can hide a multitude of sins.(Bird Lives)

Reply To Post

6. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I have had a couple of my horns relacquered. My Conn 10M had been factory relacquered before my dad got it in 1963. It was looking pretty bad, and I do mean BAD! I had the horn professionally relacquered again in 2003. I only had the body relacquered. The sterling silver keys were left alone. worn spots and all. The lacquer looks original. The horn looks like a closet special that was well cared for and rarely played. I haven't always taken the best care of it....back in my Jr. High school days. I did have a couple dents removed when I had it replated in 2003. It has been well taken care of and cherished since then. I still play it a lot! Usually a couple nights per week. My 6M alto had also been relacquered before I bought it, and whoever relacquered it did a horrible job. I had the same company relacquer the alto last year. They completely stripped it, carefully buffed it and relacquered it, and it also looks original. Again, the sterling silver keys were left alone; only polished. A lot of care was taken in regards to the engraving. Both of these horns absolutely scream! I have owned and played other horns with original, or no lacquer and really notice no difference at all. The mouthpiece, ligature and reed make a more significant difference than the lacquer. If you should decide to have a horn refinished though, be careful who you take it too. Being a collector, I've seen some very bad relacquer jobs!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

7. by someguy
          (80 posts)

19 years ago

Has anyone heard or seen what a Keilwerth looks and sounds like when weathered? I wonder. Hey Tango, who are the Knights templar? No disrespect meant, just an honest question. Good day.

Reply To Post

8. by TANGO SIX ONE
          (255 posts)

19 years ago

The knights Templar. the order goes back to arpund 1100AD even before Adolf Sax.The knights Templar of modern times have a quest.The order is made up of Saxophone players and jazz musicians who are on that quest.Their counterpart the teutonic knights are similar.(Bird Lives)

Reply To Post

9. by TANGO SIX ONE
          (255 posts)

19 years ago

The knights Templar. the order goes back to arpund 1100AD even before Adolf Sax.The knights Templar of modern times have a quest.The order is made up of Saxophone players and jazz musicians who are on that quest.Their counterpart the teutonic knights are similar.(Bird Lives)

Reply To Post

10. by someguy
          (80 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks for the explanation. Whos Bird?

Reply To Post

11. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Tango's parakeet has been very sick, and we have all asked him about his bird, so after every post, he writes (Bird Lives) so we know that his parakeet is still alive! His Parakeet's name is Charlie Parker!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

12. by TANGO SIX ONE
          (255 posts)

19 years ago

Response to connsaxman jim: The knights templar state.Wasn't sure reading this at first but thats very informative and very funny Jim.Just for the record (Bird lives)

Reply To Post

13. by The_§ax
          (147 posts)

19 years ago

I am very glad that Charlie Parker is still alive!!!

Reply To Post

14. by Candyboy
          (77 posts)

19 years ago

I have owned a couple of Pan American tenor saxes. The first one I sold to a friend of mine. It was badly dented and most of the lacquer was gone when I bought it. I did some soldering, replaced a few pads, and pushed out the dents, and reset the pad heights. I swear that the horn sounded as good as my 1937 10M. After I sold it I bought another one on Ebay. This second horn had been relacquered and recently repadded and it was very pretty, but just didn't have the majic that the old one did. Definately a darker sounding sax. I must say that I have also been in the quest for the Holy Grail for many years, though never knighted.
          Doug Coffman

Reply To Post AIM