Saxophone Forum

by TANGO SIX ONE
(255 posts)
19 years ago

Overslung or underslung crook, The knights templar

The knights templar state: We believe there are differences obviously not only in design but in response,For example the under over of Yani ,Super 20s, Under slung Conn 6 and some 10ms.coupled with crook sleeve on conn.To the various overs of the rest.What are your experiences? and some 10ms

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by blackfrancis
    (396 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Overslung or underslung crook, The knights templar

I've had a 10M with a traditional (over) neck, a 6M with the underslung, and a Super 20, and I swear by Sahib Shihab's neckstrap that I can tell no difference (except the underslung looks so cool!). As long as it's attatched to a good horn, I'm there! (since you didn't state, I will: Bird lives)

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Well, my 6M is underslung, and it's one of the most responsive horns I have ever played. As for tenors, my 10M has the traditional top mounted octave mechanism, my Buescher 400 Top Hat & Cane tenor, and my King Super 20 tenor both have a similar underslung mechanism. I like the underslung design, but I really don't notice that much difference in response. Maybe the underslung closes a little quicker. I especially like the underslung design from a durability standpoint. Having the octave key mounted on the bottom side of the neck seems to make it less volnerable.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by TANGO SIX ONE
        (255 posts)

19 years ago

The reason the Knight templar posted this was we feel that underslung , not under over as in 20s and yani, but toally underslung is a very good design.Ok the mechanism you could argue is a little tricky, but we favour its look and its gravitational pull , ha, ha.We have a 10m underlung, one before they put those guards on the bell , so its 1round 1959, 63ish This actually is in our view one of the best.Amazingly this one is not rolled.This one we mention here creates a fraction more cut and lift, its very slight.The older ones may just have it ,but we found the crook sleeve on this 10m made like the 6ms is a factor in producing more power than any horn we have ever had,now as you people have pointed out its unlikely to be the underslung octive, or does it make a conttribution? because you can set it wide open this way round and is as quick to respond back onto G. Is this vent hole different from say selmer, in that fullness, stuffy sound, bright , or full, can it be adusted by the design and size of opening? (Bird Lives)

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan88
          (318 posts)

19 years ago

Since I'm trying to learn more about saxes I'll admit... I have no clue as to what you're all talking about. If you could enlighten this estranged young man I'd much appreciate it. Thanx!

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

What we're talking about here Joel is the position of the octave key. Most saxophones have the octave key mounted on the top side of the neck. Some, like the Conn 6M, have it mounted on the bottom side of the neck. I suppose there are advantages and disadvantages either way. What we are debating here is rather or not the position of the octave key contributes to the sound or response of the horn. Tango, in response to your point about the later 10M that the Knights use, I have found this to be the case of many of the later (1948 and after) 10M's without the rolled tone holes. My CONN-sensis is, the drawn holes tend to give a little brighter sound that the rolled tone holes, which have a warmer darker tone. The intonation and response also seems a little better on the later 10M's.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by TANGO SIX ONE
          (255 posts)

19 years ago

Response to consaxmanjim yes the knights templar have come to exactly the same thing on the 10ms, and of course the bear.Interesting that jim.Better get back to the debate really but i have to mention that the other night doing a full on jazz gig at a club quartet stuff.Small place 40 50 max but listening mostly, came to the ballad for the night as it had been full on.Tells the guys ill run through the cycle twice on my own then ill bring the head in.Just about to drop the band in on the head and i had a vision of that bear on the jazz camp.Ended up after my intro, they did most of it as a trio while i attempted to stop laughing.It ill take me a while to get over that.Any way back to the crooks(Bird Lives)

Reply To Post

4. by SaxMan88
          (318 posts)

19 years ago

Wow. What clubs do you perform at Tango? Any in the US? You always claim yourself as part of the European Jazz Community? Just wondering.

Reply To Post