Saxophone Forum

by slickrick1942
(2 posts)
7 years ago

Need to know who made my Saxophone

I have a saxophone that has Lyric engraved on the bell. I need to know who manufactured it. It has matching numbers on the body and the mouthpiece. Anyone have any insight? I've been told that it could possibly be a Martin or a Foreign. Help me! I have no idea!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by mijderf
    (282 posts)

7 years ago

Re: Need to know who made my Saxophone

It looks like the tone holes might be soldered on, which would seem to make this a Martin, but it is hard to tell since your photos don't really zoom in on the tone holes.  Take a look at this area and see if that is the case.  Take a look at the tone holes on the Martins in this site's saxophone museum for comparison.

Reply To Post

2. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

7 years ago

Definitely Martin.

Reply To Post

3. by Saxquest
    (420 posts)

7 years ago

Probably Martin based on the toneholes. However, the body braces and key guard feet make me also think it could be Couturier who stenciled a lot of saxophone for Lyon & Healy. They were based out of Chicago and had a full production factory. They seem to be a "forgotten" American instrument maker of of the early 20th century. Probably because they never made a professional saxophone and focused on stencils for the "affordable" amateur market. 

Either way, it probably dates to the 1930's-1940's based on the keywork. It termsof value, its not worth much on the open market. 

Cheers,
         Mark Overton
         www.saxquest.com  

Reply To Post