Saxophone Forum

by TANGO SIX ONE
(255 posts)
19 years ago

All the Talk on Cannonball's rest easy. The knights Templar

The knights templar State: several of our order decided to fully check out the cannonball saxophones.all the different ones they do.We pitched these horns against all the top vintage horns and all the pro new models.Well the company turn out a nice looking at a average price which is good.But they aremost certainly in the student and possibly intermediate range.No matter how they are finished they do not at present any form of challenge to a pro horn.After a number of hours of testing and we tried a few, different finishes.The overall conclusion is they are nice new saxes,but lack colours, depth,individuality which comes from depth. to be able to centre and work on sub colours using various techniques it hits a brick wall after a while. You cant get beyond it.Its not unlike a Yamaha but Yamaha are far better.We dont endorse Yamaha for jazz apart from their custom which is excellent.Reason, its made with French brass not like the 62 and all the others.All the cannonballs are made in tiwan we believe, we tested them against the elkart student and all the others that order from the same place .almost identical in hitting that brick wall.They have dressed one or 2 up to ring a little more here and there but essentially you hit the brick wall searching for sub colours and techniques which is one if not thee ingrediant for a jazz pro.So they arevery good starter to intermediate horn.If you have the nerve to call it a cannonball they should at least get it to the same stage as the super 20 kings which were great.(Bird Lives)

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by SaxMan88
    (318 posts)

19 years ago

Re: All the Talk on Cannonball's rest easy. The knights Templar

So Cannonball doesn't touch Selmer? That's good to know.

Reply To Post

1. by Spike
      (248 posts)

19 years ago

someone will kill me for this: I wouldn't play a selmer in anything but a rock band.

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan88
        (318 posts)

19 years ago

Why? How bout some reasons?

Reply To Post

1. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

19 years ago

Yeah, that doesn't make sense. A Selmer would be the last thing I would play on a rock gig. All of the new Selmers are too stuffy for me. I couldn't see doing anything but classical with them. The most open deep one they've had lately was the series II, and it's not bright enough for anything like rock. I basically dislike every horn they've made after the Mark VII. The references were okay, but they're not even close to being worth their price.

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Why ruin rock and roll? The only Selmer I do play on occasion is my SBA alto. It's a great horn for vintage Paul Desmond stuff, and Duke Ellington.

Reply To Post Yahoo!