Saxophone Forum

by audie
(2 posts)
19 years ago

what make is my sax

i have been given an old sax but do not know what make it is wonder if anyone can help,engraved on it is lewin true perfection low pitch serial number 181996 made in the usa, hope someone can help me thax audie

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Candyboy
    (77 posts)

19 years ago

Re: what make is my sax

Audie, If you send me some good pictures of the horn I can probably indentify it for you. As a rule of thumb if it has a mercedes emblem type keyguard for low C it was made by Conn. If it has tapered tone hones, it was made by Martin. My experience tells me that any old sax with perfection in the name was made by Buescher. Does you sax have wire keyguards or are they stamped? The stamped guards started showing up in the early 50's as far as I know and everyone used them. Are the bell keys both on the left side?
    Doug Coffman

Reply To Post AIM

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Candyboy, I think you are correct about it being a Buescher. My guess is that this is a Buescher True Tone stencil made in 1925. The interesting thing about the Buescher stencils, is that they used the same serial number sequence as the Bueschers, and my list indicates 1925.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Candyboy
        (77 posts)

19 years ago

I have a C soprano sax that is a Buescher stencil. Engraving says. Perfection Bruno NY I also used to own a silver plated tenor that I believe said Harwood Perfection and I'm sure that it was a very early Buescher. It had no pearl keytouches and no front F key.
        Doug Coffman

Reply To Post AIM

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I've seen a few with the Perfection name, and most of them were Buescher True Tone stencils. The Harwood is a VERY early Buescher! Probably made sometime between 1915-1920

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by Candyboy
          (77 posts)

19 years ago

I'm not sure what year my old Harwood is,but if you are correct about the Buescher stencil serial numbers that should tell us. the serial number is 31922. It has the automatic octave key, all the toneholes are soldered. No pearls anywhere, but the silver is 100% and the only dings are at the front of the bell lip. The bell is very small it only measures 5&1/2 inches across.
          Doug Coffman

Reply To Post AIM

3. by eman19
          (131 posts)

19 years ago

Makes it about 1916-1917 ish

Reply To Post

4. by Candyboy
          (77 posts)

19 years ago

I was going to guess right before the first world war since I have never seen a pre-WWI sax of any kind with pearl keytouches. Then the automatic octave must have appeared around 1910 or so on most American saxes right?
          Doug Coffman

Reply To Post AIM

5. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

A little earlier I think with the Conns. I have a 1908 Conn Wonder that has the single octave key. Some of the earlier horns had a double octave key configuration.

Reply To Post Yahoo!