Saxophone Forum

by jaggtagg7
(40 posts)
19 years ago

good audition pieces

i most likely auditioning for a music minor, or maybe major in the winter/spring semester. The only requirements are 2 songs of contrasting styles that best display my ablity. so where is a good place to find some solo music that i can either see a preview or hear a preview of music. i've already tried jwpepper and musicnotes, so besides those. AND what r some good solo songs that i should take a look at??

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxjunkie89
    (393 posts)

19 years ago

Re: good audition pieces

if you are playing alto, definitely the greatest alto solo ever, Earl Hagen's "Harlem Nocturne"

Reply To Post

1. by makadu
      (2 posts)

18 years ago

can i get some of alto saxophones

Reply To Post

2. by makadu
      (2 posts)

18 years ago

can i get some of alto saxophones pieces

Reply To Post

2. by jaggtagg7
    (40 posts)

19 years ago

sorry i forgot, for alto or maybe soprano. i'm decideing, but mostlikely it will be alto.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by tenor562
      (297 posts)

19 years ago

The big ones are Creston Sonata and Glazunov Concerto (spelling?) Anything that Marcel Mule has done or composed is good too. In Larry Teal's Art of Saxophone playing, in the back there's a suggested repertoire, that would give you something to look for.

Reply To Post

3. by saximous86
    (17 posts)

19 years ago

Go to www.sheetmusicplus.com They have basically everything out there for sax at really great prices. Saxophone literature are very serious pieces of work both technically and structurally. The Creston or Heiden are 2 great sonatas you could go for. I would also recommend Tableaux de Provence since it captures the expressive qualities of the saxophone and its a gorgeous work. Good luck.

Reply To Post

4. by vaggmann
    (8 posts)

18 years ago

anything from chicago and good LTJ stuff check it out at horntabs.net

Reply To Post

5. by vaggmann
    (8 posts)

18 years ago

anything from chicago and good LTJ stuff check it out at horntabs.net

Reply To Post

6. by lejazzhotsax
    (15 posts)

19 years ago

You might not be able to find a sample but my all time favorite is Tableaux de Province by Paule Maurice. I still love to play it just for fun 30 years out of college. Very cool piece.

Reply To Post

1. by barimachine
      (323 posts)

19 years ago

for my audition I'll be doing the milhaud scaramouche when you play these long piece do you play all there movements or select one or two of each? i would probably do mvt. 1 or 3

Reply To Post

1. by Er087
        (7 posts)

19 years ago

well, if you're supposed to do two contrasting movements, then just do two of them (one fast, technique oriented one, and one slower, melodic one). i would think that there probably wouldn't be much more time for you to do much more than that anyway, depending on how they run their auditions.

Reply To Post AIM

2. by Rachael
      (13 posts)

19 years ago

When I auditioned this past year I played either Concertino da Camera- Ibert, or the Glazounov concerto. The Glazounov concerto is the easier of the two, but if you're really dedicated you could learn the Ibert. You can't listen to the music at this site...but if you decide what you want to buy "shattingermusic.com" has good prices and they ship the music quite fast.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Vondermark
        (18 posts)

19 years ago

We are still talking about a high school audition are we not? If we are then I would suggest Romance, by William Grant Still. As well Sonata XIII which was arranged by Sigurd Rascher would be a good idea, just to show that you can count very very well. (hahaha)

Reply To Post AIM

3. by Rachael
      (13 posts)

19 years ago

When I auditioned this past year I played either Concertino da Camera- Ibert, or the Glazounov concerto. The Glazounov concerto is the easier of the two, but if you're really dedicated you could learn the Ibert. You can't listen to the music at this site...but if you decide what you want to buy "shattingermusic.com" has good prices and they ship the music quite fast.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

4. by saxjunkie89
      (393 posts)

19 years ago

if you are playing alto, definitely the greatest alto solo ever, Earl Hagen's "Harlem Nocturne"

Reply To Post

1. by afterglows_fanson
        (18 posts)

19 years ago

Yey, I just posted this same question on another post, but now I found my answer. Rachael, what schools did u get into with your two pieces. They both sound very interesting.

Reply To Post

1. by Rachael
          (13 posts)

19 years ago

I only auditioned at two schools...Eastern Michigan University and Central mich univ. There was only one spot open at eastern where I really wanted to go and we had callbacks for who would get the spot...I was very lucky to get the one spot. At Central I learned the main reason I didn't get in was because my gpa wasn't high enough..they want a 3.5 or higher. Concertino da camera is a very hard piece I still can't play it all that great, I would recommend the glazounov, its challenging but not too hard and the tune is pretty good. What schools are you trying to get into? are you a senior?

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by afterglows_fanson
            (18 posts)

19 years ago

Yea, I'll be a senior in september. I realy realy want to go to NYU, but I'm not sure if I can get in. Probably going to end up at Syracuse.. good school anyway. Going to visit Boston U and some other schools this summer.

Reply To Post

2. by Tully
            (49 posts)

19 years ago

I second the Concertino da Camera. You don't have to play the hardest parts, although you should obviously play the most demanding material you can. For a piece of contrasting style, I would do something baroque, but beware, baroque music is a lot harder than it may seem. Of course, it sounds like you are auditioning this winter at the earliest (as I am doing on flute, my main isntrument), so you should have plenty of time to learn the Concertino da Camera.

Reply To Post AIM

3. by afterglows_fanson
            (18 posts)

19 years ago

I went to Patelson's Music Store in NYC, very sweet people if anyone is interested in a good sheet music store. Saw Concertino de Camera, nearly cried.. lol. Going to buy it and try. I bought a couple of pieces that are definately in my range. Anyone know what you do if something is written out of the saxophones range? btw, the two pieces i got where: "fantasia concertante" by Bernhard Heiden and "Concerto Op. 3/6" by Antonio Vivaldi. One 21 century and one Baroque.

Reply To Post

4. by Tully
            (49 posts)

19 years ago

What do you mean when you say something's out of the sax's range? If you mean it goes really high, that's what altissimo is: really high (literally; that's what "altissimo" means in Italian). Since you are auditioning for college next winter, I assume you study privately, so you teacher should be able to help with the specific problems.

Reply To Post AIM

5. by afterglows_fanson
            (18 posts)

19 years ago

I mean like F# is the highest key on the sax and there are B's and As above it. My teacher just moved, I dont have one currently.. trying to find one. Havent had one for couple months.

Reply To Post

6. by Tully
            (49 posts)

19 years ago

You hit those notes by practicing a whole lot. Get Rascher's book "Top Tones for the Saxophone"--it's about developing your embouchure for altissimo. It's available all over the place online, and I even found it at my library.

Reply To Post AIM

7. by Sonny_Rollins
            (18 posts)

19 years ago

Why even bother. You suck anyways - just go back to collecting stamps.

Reply To Post

8. by The_§ax
            (147 posts)

19 years ago

Sonny, you are one of the saddest people on the web.

Reply To Post

9. by brace_face
            (43 posts)

19 years ago

I second that

Reply To Post

10. by yas23saxplayer
            (8 posts)

19 years ago

I third that

Reply To Post

11. by Tully
            (49 posts)

19 years ago

Fourth.

Reply To Post AIM

12. by cammes
            (16 posts)

19 years ago

I'm auditionuing for uni back in Australia. I have to have three pieces of contrasting styles. I am doing Indrotuctory Dance and Furioso. Taubleaux De Province and Hot Sonate. Hot Sonate is a real great song not to difficult but a very nice melody. But one of the greatest songs ever written was the Creston Sonata I played it for my high school recital I love that song all three movements.

Reply To Post