Saxophone Forum

by syrasax
(75 posts)
19 years ago

Hard rubber & metal MPC on the same neck

On a tenor . . . Playing a Meyer hard rubber mpc and then switching to an Otto Link Super Tone Master metal mpc . . . there's a difference as far as the cork is concerned . . . the Otto Link is more narrow. What do you do? Do you use different necks for each mpc? Do you just squeeze it on there and replace the cork periodically? Or adjust the neck for the metal mpc and then use paper around the neck when you use the Meyer?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Hard rubber & metal MPC on the same neck

Depending on how you want to scramble your eggs, you can go about this a few ways. A dedicated neck for each mouthpiece keeps your mouthpieces intact, but your wallet a little damaged. Or (what I would do) is open the bore on the Otto Link to match your Meyer. There's a technique to doing this so you don't hog out more than is necessary. If you were willing to ship your neck and mouthpieces, I can help you in this regard. Shoot me an email if you want. I've shortened shanks on mouthpieces before to resolve similar problems where players want multiple pieces on one neck. See this... www.saxmaniax.com/mpcreface.htm

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
      (984 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Hard rubber & metal MPC on the same neck

Sorry - I just realized your were talking about an Otto Link STM - not a Tone Edge. Forget about boring out the Link. Your Meyer could be beefed up with epoxy and re-bored to more closely match your Link - which is quite tedious though not impossible.

Reply To Post