Saxophone Forum

by mrd
(137 posts)
19 years ago

LOW PITCH 18 INCH SAX BY LYON HEALY INFO REQUESTED

Assistance requested Can anyone give me some information on the following horn... I don't know anything about it. Thank you A little "Low Pitch" sax produced by Lyon Healy. Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I could find, they made these back in the early 1900's. It is rather small as sax'es go and measures about 18" long. The pads are original and leather. They do still work but they are OLD! The front of the horn is engraved "Lyon Healy - American Professional - Chicago. The back is stamped with the number 26388" and the term "Low Pitch". There is also another inscribed term that reads "Ala. Boys Indus School - Birmingham Alabama".

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Dave Dix
    (421 posts)

19 years ago

Re: LOW PITCH 18 INCH SAX BY LYON HEALY INFO REQUESTED

Lyon Healy had their horns made by mainly buescher or martin as stencils but they were top stencils and not cheap horns. Is it a curved sax? if so it will be a fixed neck soprano or an alto without the neck on. If its a sop it will be worth quite a bit of cash ,especially if it is keyed to high F(three l/h palm keys) Dave

Reply To Post

1. by mrd
      (137 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks Dave: It says Lyon Healy with a circle around the name, and then below it: American Professional, and then below,, Chicago. It is curved with a neck like an alto, but what key would this be in?? What would it sound like? Could it be a curved soprano?? I don't have a clue??

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

It sounds like a curved soprano. Like Dave said, most of the Lyon Healy saxophones were made by either Martin or Buescher. Most of the sopranos were made by Martin. They are top quality stencils. Lyon Healy was a harp maker in Chicago, and their harps are some of the best in the world. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by jamterry
      (573 posts)

19 years ago

i used to take the subway to the Lyon-Healy store. I wonder if it is still there. Wabash Ave. in Chicago was filled with music stores. I loved Charlie Grano's, because he let me pick my reeds. If you are in Chicago, you buy can any books or music at Carl Fischer's, if it still there. I bought my tenor and alto at Sid Sherman's. All these places were in a row on Wabash Ave. Anything from Lyon-Healey is good stuff. Best of luck to you :)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

3. by saxjunkie89
      (393 posts)

19 years ago

it's either a curved soprano or a straight sopranino. www.jayeaston.com/galleries/sax_family/sax_p_Conn_nino_str-curv.html click there to see

Reply To Post