Saxophone Forum

by Augman
(29 posts)
19 years ago

Using diferent pieces

I have a mk 6 alto and have used the same meyer mouthpiece for 20 years. I recentally branched out to tenor (series 2) And tried a lot of mouthpiecs and again chose meyer. Although I like it, for some aplications it is a little stuffy. I thought it would be fun to have a brighter piece as well. Question: If you use different pieces does the cork on the neck not form to a uniform place? On my alto there is a clear line as to where to push the mouthpiece into.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxmannwmsu
    (48 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Using diferent pieces

I use two seperate pieces on my alto. I use a Lakey 5*3 and a Selmer C* Short Scroll Shank. It's normally not a problem to switch between pieces, but it mostly depends on the diameter of the shanks. Thankfully, the two I use are close to the same size shank. My friend, however, used two pieces on his tenor and they were different enough that the wider diameter mouthpiece always seemed to fall off. He got the cork expanded and hasn't had any problems. If the cork on your tenor neck is already compressed because of your current piece, I'd get it expanded. Find another mouthpiece you like and, as long as you don't really use one more than the other, you should be fine. You might have to get the cork expanded every once in a while, but it's not a big deal.

Reply To Post AIM