Saxophone Forum

by tigga
(1 post)
19 years ago

High notes.

I've been playing the saxophone, for about 7 months now, and I'm having real problems hitting high notes in tune. They always sound flat. Could anyone give me some tips or hints on how to hit them in tune? I currently use 1.5 reeds on a jupiter 500 series saxophone if it helps.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Bleeding_Gums_Murphy
    (55 posts)

19 years ago

Re: High notes.

There's your problem. Step up your reeds to 2's or 2.5's. 1.5's are very, very soft reeds, and after playing for a while, when you use softer reeds your embouchure tends to slacken and the more fragile notes come out flat. Harder reeds encourage you to tighten up your embouchure and build the strength of you chops.

Reply To Post

1. by Zheng
      (23 posts)

19 years ago

also it could be ur sax. i play a ref. 36 a pro sax. i have a student sax at home. when i play the high notes they go really flat, but the pro sax there always in tune.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by kitnachi
        (41 posts)

19 years ago

you could also push your mouth piece in more when you play and just loosen you jaw when you go down in your lower notes. but I seriously reccomend going up in reed thickness a bit, it improves your sound.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by selmer 4evr
          (309 posts)

19 years ago

What method are you using to play the high notes ? How are the low notes? I suspect a problem there also even though it is less noticable.

Reply To Post

2. by Sonny_Rollins
        (18 posts)

19 years ago

If you get higher reeds and it's still a problem, then its probably your horn. I use a Yamaha 62 II Series and it blows flat in the upper register. I want to upgrade to a better saxophone like a Selmer Mark IV or the new Reference models but they cost too much. Maybe I should get a better job with higher pay? Right now I get 6.20 and I dont work that many hours during the week. Or maybe I should sell one of my organs, such as my liver or some kidneys, on the black market. I heard that you can get a decent wad of cash doing stuff like that, as well as being a prostitute. Wait....oh crap....are there male prostitutes? I mean, since I'm a guy and all..... One way or another, I will upgrade to a better horn that doesnt blow flat in the upper register.

Reply To Post

1. by afterglows_fanson
          (18 posts)

19 years ago

Haha, I have a Yamaha 62 II Series. Its driving me nuts. I need to sell a kidney or something too. lol. Ombiture is the way to make that sax work right. Do u get weird noises in the lower register... not all the time.. but it sounds like realy bad honking vabrato... lol. Problem of the week for me on that thing... a gurgling noise if i play for more than 30 minutes... the saxquest people gave tips and said if they didnt work to take it in. U wanna join me in selling organs lol? no prositution allowed.. lol

Reply To Post

1. by Sonny_Rollins
            (18 posts)

19 years ago

Yeah. I know the 62 II Series sucks. My sax teacher let me play his Mark VI the other day at my lesson and it was sooo much better!!!! Just everything - from intonation to sound. And it was just overall easier to play - ESPECIALLY low notes lol

Reply To Post

1. by afterglows_fanson
              (18 posts)

19 years ago

Sigh, I want a new sax. Does the Mark VI have a differnt sound than the Reference 54.. cuz everyone says that thats the standard for professionals.. you know, whats expected at auditions at least, but I dont realy like it. What do u think bout it?

Reply To Post

2. by tenor562
              (297 posts)

19 years ago

yea, I have a 62II series, and I had that flat problem in the high register. I changed reeds to the Vandoren Blue Box, and it fixed it right away. It worked pretty well. If you are attached to jazz reeds, just move a strength harder.

Reply To Post