Saxophone Forum

by gibbo1
(3 posts)
7 years ago

Unbranded 19th century Sax

Hi all, I recently bought this Silver plated sax, it has the dimensions of an Alto but with a Tenor type curved crook, there are no markings what so ever, I assume due to the blob type finger buttons and double octave keys its pre 1900, Military Alto or C Melody? any info would be gratefully appreciated, many thanks 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

7 years ago

Re: Unbranded 19th century Sax

No value as a horn that would be played. Too Primitive.

The C melody horns were mostly  mass manufactured in the US. An older model such as yours is somewhat a rarety. It looks to be french. It looks to be nickel plated. I would expect if you really looked under the keys around the upper hand area, you may find some numbers, but that still wont tell you who manufactured it.

I myself simply love these historical relics. I have a few that have been soaking in WD40 for years. I pull them out occasionally and I slowly am  able to get them unfused, as most are rusted into place and nothing moves. If yours moves freely, that in itself is a very good sign for a collector.

Unfortunately, the cost to refurbish such an instrument would be more than its value.

Collectors, who do their own work, is your market, if you choose to unload it.

100 bucks would be an expected price from an interested curious technician such as myself.

I hope this helps. I look forward to seeing other input you may receive here.

Reply To Post

1. by gibbo1
      (3 posts)

7 years ago

Excellent, thank you, I thought it was a C Mel, surprisingly it all moves freely, needs a few springs replaced and all the pads, thanks again.. 

Reply To Post

2. by gibbo1
      (3 posts)

7 years ago

Ah forgot to ask what year are we talking, late 1800's?

Reply To Post

(644 posts)

7 years ago

I would expect this is an old one.

It only goes down to low B meaning it has just one bell key instead of two.

I think it only goes up to high e flat ?

So the basic key work states from a time when the Adolph Sax origianal design was being copied.

Go into the museum tab here and look at the older Adolph sax horns. Yours may still be an alto since the older altos also had a tenor type neck. You will see the similarities and also the differences.

My mind is slipping me today, but 1846 I think was the originl design date for the  original  saxophone. If it was closer to 1900 it would be a bit more advanced in my opinion.

Good Luck

Reply To Post

(644 posts)

7 years ago

Your does go up to high F. Sorry for any misrepresentation.

I looked a bit closer at your pics.

Reply To Post