Saxophone Forum

by lan205
(8 posts)
7 years ago

bettoney brand soprano saxophone

Hi.  I'm trying to get some info on my Dad's saxophone, especially the age.  It's a straight low pitch soprano saxophone.  the little card he wrote up years ago says it's a Martin/Bettoney. My internet searching has not been too successful.  Can anyone help? Are these two companies the same?  thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

7 years ago

Re: bettoney brand soprano saxophone

Bettoney is a merchandiser's brand.  If your horn has soldered-on tonehole chimneys it might have been made by Martin.  But some merchandiser-branded "stencil" horns were made by Couturiere, who also made soldered-on tonehole rims.  If you post some pictures including good closeups of the tonehole rims we might be able to tell more.

Reply To Post

2. by lan205
    (8 posts)

7 years ago

here are some images. hope this will help

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
      (842 posts)

7 years ago

Well..... pretty sure it's a Martin.  Not 100% but pretty sure.  The tonehole bevels on Martins are usually concave to the pad seats, which initially had me leaning towards Couturier because these ones are straight beveled.  But it turns out that Martin sopranos also have a straight bevel.  

http://www.saxpics.com/?v=gal&c=1629

Now let's consider this source:  

http://www.saxgourmet.com/saxophone-stencil-makers/

Martin is listed as a maker of Bettoney but Couturier is not.  Couturier is one of the brands listed as a Martin stencil as well as being a producer.  So unless Couturier is an unrecognized source for Bettoney, which no information suggests but we can't discount entirely because of the nature of the stencil horn business and lack of a distinctive "Martin bevel" on the toneholes, Martin is the call.

Unfortunately, stencil serial numbers are not in sequence with manufacturer brand serial numbers, so the production date will remain vague.  Most production of Sopranos ended in the early 1930s.

Reply To Post

1. by lan205
        (8 posts)

7 years ago

Thanks so much for the info.  Any clue on it's value since the serial number may not get me too far?

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
          (842 posts)

7 years ago

Stencil instruments don't have as much value as the manufacturer brand instruments.  You might have a perfectly fine Martin, but the market doesn't see it that way.

Reply To Post

2. by lan205
          (8 posts)

7 years ago

thanks so much for all the info. It's much appreciated

Reply To Post