Saxophone Forum

by mega band geek
(60 posts)
19 years ago

Another reed question

On Bari I've been using Vandoren Traditional 3 1/2's with my legit setup, but I'm not too happy with the fact that only half the box is useable. Whats a good brand/strength that is equivilent to the Vandoren 3 1/2's, but more consistent so I get more reeds for my money? Thanks.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxmannwmsu
    (48 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Another reed question

I played Vandorens until I came across Alexander Classiques. I tell people I "saw the light" and I haven't turned back. In my experience, these reeds have a smoother sound to them than Vandorens. Additionally, I don't run into too many bad reeds. I'd say that 4 out of the 5 are normally useable. They seem to be more consistent than Vandorens too. I generally get the same response and tone from each reed. Check them out. I've never played them on Bari (only on alto), but I'd be eager to hear if they're the same acorss the different kinds of saxes.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by mega band geek
      (60 posts)

19 years ago

What stength Alexander Classiques would be equivalent to a Vandoren 3.5?

Reply To Post AIM

1. by saxmannwmsu
        (48 posts)

19 years ago

Probably 3.5. Some people say that Alexanders run weak, but I don't think they do. If you're worried about it, try the 3.5's and the 4's and see which you ike better.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by selmer 4evr
          (309 posts)

19 years ago

They run weaker they are a V cut Vandoren is more of a U cut but the ultimum for alto was Omega can't get any longer too bad

Reply To Post