Saxophone Forum

by Snowshoe2017
(2 posts)
7 years ago

Trying to ID vintage Elkhart saxophone- what brand of neck ?

Hi, I have an Elkhart tenor saxophone, serial number 8950.  Anyone know what year it was made in?  Also, the neck I have is not the original neck, and a repairman said that some issues I am having with some notes not speaking is due to the incorrect neck.  Anyone know which brand of neck works best?  Eg. Would a Conn or Buescher work, or an old Selmer neck? Where can I find this in Canada, or is EBay best source?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

7 years ago

Re: Trying to ID vintage Elkhart saxophone- what brand of neck ?

Elkhart Instrument Company was a budget-line subsidiary of Buescher that got absorbed by the parent company in 1936.  Your horn looks like a copy of a late 1920s-early 1930s Buescher.  Unfortunately, the neck receiver looks like it was jimmied to accomodate the improper neck.  It might not fit a proper neck for that horn anymore, provided you could even find one.  Even in pristine condition your horn wouldn't have a lot of value and in its damaged, relacquered condition with no proper neck its value is essentially zilch.  Don't waste any money on it, buy a different horn.  

Reply To Post

2. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

7 years ago

Re: Trying to ID vintage Elkhart saxophone- what brand of neck ?

I fully agree with GNC, get a different horn.

You may consider a Bundy Neck. That would also be the cheapest route. Ask a local repair shop if they have a parts bundy with a neck laying around. Also Check Out ebay.

Bundys, not bundy II are basically a cheaply manufactured Bueschers after Selmer took them over.

Reply To Post